ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (14/54) > >>

zridling:
Way useful, that's for sure. Lots of people keep their photo collections backed up on Flickr instead of on their own drives. (According to the comments, though, Firefox and Apple have already done this.)

nontroppo:
Yes, Sherlock was Apple's interface introduced way back in OS 8.5 which allowed both local and cloud searching through one interface, it used SGML files to configure search providers easily (Mozilla later made Mycroft to share these search providers, and incidentally, I made a mycroft > Opera search provider database a while after).

This is the same broad idea as Windows 7 functionality (it uses OpenSearch, an XML replacement for the sherlock/mycroft style providers), but Windows 7 seems to be a much more robust implementation in terms of file-system handling. The cloud items pulled in through Win 7 will be treated like files, not like search results, thus allowing a more transparent UI (context menus, thumbnails etc.).

Leopard's spotlight allows network searched files to be included in the local mix, but not cloud files (Sherlock was sent to an Old peoples home with Leopard too).

f0dder:
And you can play Crysis without a graphics card (in slooooow-motion) :P:

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20081126/direct3d-warp10-to-enable-you-to-play-dx10-crysis-using-software-renderer-only-albeit-slowly/-nontroppo (November 28, 2008, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, what's so new about this? The DirectX SDK has included a reference rasterizer (ie, software-only) for ages.

Cloud sucks.

nontroppo:
Hm, what's so new about this? The DirectX SDK has included a reference rasterizer (ie, software-only) for ages.
--- End quote ---

Really? OK, so one less point for 7. I was impressed that the software-only DirectX was faster than Intels integrated solution though...

Cloud sucks.
--- End quote ---

They are however great for dreaming in...  :P

Lashiec:
The possibility of retrieving (and I hope uploading) data from the cloud is absolutely cool. I hope it's flexible enough for most companies to jump in, and we can retire superfluous apps for specific services.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version