ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (6/54) > >>

Edvard:
Strata? I thought that was what Midori was...  :huh:
Either way, here's some links to Mr. Stallman's thoughts on the cloud -
Stallman: Cloud computing is 'stupidity'
Cloud computing is a trap, warns GNU founder Richard Stallman

Hehe, somebody forgot to warn the Ubuntu bigwigs:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10055894-16.html

superboyac:
OK, since you guys are talking about it a little here...

I just don't see how webcentric applications can offer the speed of software on your PC.  How can the data feed through the connection (fiber optic, ethernet, cable, dsl, etc.) compare with the actual processing hardware and that local speed generated from the RAM, CPU, hard disk, etc.?  I have a hard time believing that the interaction through the web can be as fast as a local interaction with your own hardware.

Carol Haynes:
It can't be as fast - but if you are using a word processor to write a one page letter over fast broadband it isn't going to be a problem. Now try and write a book with illustrations and you'll see how crap it will be.

superboyac:
I just don't like web apps...I think that's it.  I don't like the way they feel, if that makes any sense.

As far as being able to work anywhere and stuff, I'd prefer to just setup a robust synchronization system based upon my personal needs rather than have an OS manage it all in a general way.

On the other hand, I really do hate how Windows is way too slow given whatever hardware you have.  That's my big wish for OS's, to just make one that doesn't bog down just because you've installed a lot of apps or have not reinstalled in x number of years.  If all you're doing is info management, like office applications, minimal graphics applications or things that require heavy cpu usage, I don't see why even an old computer should be slow.

How off topic am I?

Darwin:
As far as being able to work anywhere and stuff, I'd prefer to just setup a robust synchronization system based upon my personal needs rather than have an OS manage it all in a general way.
-superboyac (October 21, 2008, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

USB thumbdrive all the way for me... I can pick up a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro right now for under $40 where I am. With that kind of capacity I can put all of my documents AND enouhg portable apps to sink the Bismarck on the thing... Heck, I already do that with my 8GB version of the same drive and I can't fill it!

I'm with you on the optimized OS idea as well. Dammit! I've waited 20 years for quad core and terabyte drives and gigabytes of RAM. I want the computer to be so fast when I'm using it that it peels the skin off my face! Then I wouldn't need to exfoliate...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version