ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (51/54) > >>

f0dder:
I've never seen an accounting app that needed much from the GPU, so I doubt that will be a concern.-Stoic Joker (April 28, 2009, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Funny that something as simple (OS features used, not business logic) as an accounting application can be written so crappily that it doesn't work across the whole Win95 -> Win7 range :)

Stoic Joker:
I've never seen an accounting app that needed much from the GPU, so I doubt that will be a concern.-Stoic Joker (April 28, 2009, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Funny that something as simple (OS features used, not business logic) as an accounting application can be written so crappily that it doesn't work across the whole Win95 -> Win7 range :)
-f0dder (April 29, 2009, 06:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
True, I suspect it has much to do with tendancy towards rushing to vertical markets for big $$$ in the hopes that "X" will be the only kid on the block for that nitch. Company "X" invests with the lowest bidder that uses a RAD OOP rig and didn't laugh at the insainly tight deadline.

...and we the poor bastards in support/administration have to suffer because of it.

Josh:
Windows 7 RC has been released to MSDN and Technet today.

f0dder:
Windows 7 RC has been released to MSDN and Technet today.
-Josh (April 30, 2009, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
See here for more information :)

Carol Haynes:
XP mode is dead as a dodo!

It requires Hyper-V enabled CPUs to run!

If businesses are reluctant to upgrade from XP how many of them are going to have Hyper-V enabled systems throughout the organisation???

None of my systems have Hyper-V enabled CPUs (a mixture of AMD Athlon64 single and dual chips, and Intel dual core) so I can't even test it.

The stupid thing is that VirtualPC worked fine (albeit as a crappy VM option) on all of my systems - now they are updating it to make it pointless for most people. What is even worse is that it isntalled without a squeak - it is only when you actually want to use the f****g thing that it tells you to b******r off.

What's the betting it is to do with security!!

So the answer is don't get excited about XP mode in Windows 7 it is likely to be a damp squib at best but more likely to be the ulitmate option to REALLY piss off business customers who thought MS might finally have take the hint over application compatibility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version