ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (36/54) > >>

Edvard:
I hear you, Edvard. I need another flavour of Windows like I need a hole in the head, but the hype does have me curious-Darwin (January 30, 2009, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Amen.
Make him get a job to pay for a copy? That might make that Linux DVD look a little sweeter. (Microsoft still plays nasty with your MBR with Win7.)
-zridling (January 31, 2009, 04:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
;D
He's only 11, but a hard worker already (I owe him about $100 for all the odd jobs I 'hired' him for this past summer - works better than giving him an allowance...)
He's already fairly proficient with his Mac G4 running Ubuntu and is beginning to understand some command-line stuff. I kinda wonder what he'll think of Windows 7.
Too bad about the MBR shenanigans, I was wondering about that. Booting a GAG CD ought to clear it right up...

On a further note, I took my USB drive home, partitioned and formatted a second hard drive and copied the W7 files to it. Then I rebooted and told Grub to chainload.
It worked! Sorta.
It booted up the installation program and for a second looked like it was going to work. Then it complained about not being able to find "install.wim" (it's in there, in the 'sources' folder...) so I'm stuck on that front. More later...

zridling:
Yet another positive Win7 report from the field.

"Pacific Crest Securities equity researchers today write that Microsoft’s (MSFT) forthcoming Windows 7 is 'a dramatic improvement over Vista' and that it has 'implications for the technology sector' beyond just what it will do for Microsoft... 'the increased speed and stability, relative to previous Windows iterations, are striking […] Everything seems to run faster and more smoothly.'"

If you've been using the beta, you'll likely agree. And since people are likely to sit on this [7] version as long as they did XP, it might be wise for Microsoft to reconsider charging for service pack upgrades, similar to what Apple does with OS X upgrades.

Edvard:
News: Windows 7 Beta Media Player may corrupt mp3's when using Auto-Tag something-or-other.
From Neowin:
Approximately 2-3 seconds will get shaved off the beginning of MP3s if you have set your Windows Media Player 12 settings to retrieve information from the internet and update files. The default configuration for WMP12 sets this if you use the "express" option during setup.

"The problem only happens when you edit metadata on a certain class of MP3 file (a file with a header larger than 16KB). When the new metadata is written, it corrupts the beginning of the file. This can happen either when you edit the metadata from inside WMP or Explorer, or it can happen if you have WMP set to automatically fill in missing metadata using the online service and add the MP3 to your library.

--- End quote ---
Patch here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a754008b-d574-4e39-b4ba-67b859a242b7&DisplayLang=en

zridling:
Also found this critic site, which hopes to avoid some of the problems that occurred during Vista RC1, where reports were ignored all the way to gold. Most of them revolve around improving Windows Explorer.

http://windows7critics.blogspot.com/

f0dder:
News: Windows 7 may corrupt your mp3's.
Patch here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a754008b-d574-4e39-b4ba-67b859a242b7&DisplayLang=en
-Edvard (February 02, 2009, 08:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
That is such a lame headline... Windows Media Player in Win7 can corrupt your MP3s if you use the auto-tag update crap... it's not "Windows 7" doing this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version