ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (26/54) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Personally I prefer the cleaner look of Win 7 as it is. I know you can set the task bar to hide but I don't particularly like to do that and something like you suggest would take up too much screen real estate. I can't see what you really gain by having thumbnails large enough to distinguish.

The other point is that applications are pinned to the task bar for ease of access - if only thumbnails get pinned you would have to find each app in the Programmes menu which partially defeats the objective of the redesign.

MS seem to have taken the idea of QuickLaunch one step further - and if you think of the task bar as being an amalgamtion of a taskbar and quick launch that is the underlying phiolosophy behind it.

40hz:
I'm somewhat impressed by how much faster and better organized Win7 is than Vista. And the interface is actually quite nice (except I hate that baby blue default color scheme  ;D).

So...does it look like Microsoft finally  has a viable XP replacement here, or is it just me?

Lashiec:
So far I've been very impressed with Windows 7. It's really much lighter (it just uses 6GB of disk space and ran fine with a mere 512 MB), and for being a beta it seems very stable, the only thing worth reporting I found is Windows Defender being deactivated at random (mostly when I launch an Internet browser). The UAC is less annoying (I hope the new approach does not mean worse system security) than before, but it could be better (you don't have permission to view certain folders, you need to go through it whenever you want to check Defender's history), and generally most annoyances and idiosyncrasies of Vista disappeared or turned out for the better. It still needs lots of polish here and there (lacks consistence between different parts of the system), but it's shaping to be a really great OS. And FARR works! :)

Now, if I could find which folder is the new "My Documents" (Libraries or Users\<my name>), and how to move my entire profile (or at least the personal folders) all at once, instead of one by one...

40hz:
It still needs lots of polish here and there (lacks consistence between different parts of the system), but it's shaping to be a really great OS. And FARR works! :)
-Lashiec (January 15, 2009, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

My impression too.

As long as Microsoft doesn't go insane with pricing, I strongly suspect that me and my FOSS cronies will be kissing The Year of the Linux Desktop good-bye one more time!  ;) ;D

Josh:
It still needs lots of polish here and there (lacks consistence between different parts of the system), but it's shaping to be a really great OS. And FARR works! :)
-Lashiec (January 15, 2009, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
As long as Microsoft doesn't go insane with pricing, I strongly suspect that me and my FOSS cronies will be kissing The Year of the Linux Desktop good-bye one more time!  ;) ;D
-40hz (January 15, 2009, 11:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

shhhh, Zaine might murder you for such a statement.

But seriously, from what I've seen and played around with, Win7 is proving to be a great OS and one I am very much looking forward to acquiring. We shall see how it plays out from here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version