ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

News Article: Japan Unveils Green Train Faster Than Shinkansen

(1/2) > >>

Ehtyar:
A Japanese Corporation has unveiled designs for a new greener express train that is capable of speeds up to 217 mph.

Here in the land of the Metroliner and the Coach Coast Starlight, it's easy to be jealous of all the national rail systems that leave Amtrak in the dust. Now Japan, already home to one of the world's most sophisticated networks, has given us something new to envy -- a greener train that does 217 mph.

Kawasaki Heavy Industries is developing the "Environmentally Friendly Super Express Train" and says it will be Japan's fastest passenger train ever. It features an extremely light and aerodynamic profile and uses regenerative braking to capture kinetic energy that would otherwise be lost as heat. As a result, Kawasaki says, the efSET will be smoother, quieter and more energy efficient than many current trains.

--- End quote ---

Full Story

Ehtyar.

4wd:
I'll be impressed about trains as soon as maglev becomes the norm.

Ehtyar:
-4wd (September 25, 2008, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
Agreed, the technology is fascinating.

Ehtyar.

CWuestefeld:
-4wd (September 25, 2008, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
Agreed, the technology is fascinating.
-Ehtyar (September 25, 2008, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

One year ago, almost to the day, I rode on Shanghai's MagLev train
    * Highest Speed: 431 km/h (268 mph) (Normal Times) or 300 km/h (190 mph) (Extend Times)
    * Run time: 7 mins and 20 sec. in Normal Times, while 8 mins and 10 sec. in extend times
    * Interval: 15 mins.
    * Ridership: 20% capacity. [1]

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it was cool. On the other hand, it's been a complete economic failure, as the 20% capacity cited above suggests. When the government invests in this stuff, it may as well be flushing the money down the toilet. There a many more important things the money could be spent on.

Ehtyar:
Yeah, it was cool. On the other hand, it's been a complete economic failure, as the 20% capacity cited above suggests. When the government invests in this stuff, it may as well be flushing the money down the toilet. There a many more important things the money could be spent on.
-CWuestefeld (September 25, 2008, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Still, that's not the fault of the technology, it's the fault of the government. In Australia at least, our antiquated (to say the least) rail network could sure do with some maglevs *drool*.

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version