topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: News Article: Two Arrested For ATM Fraud  (Read 4923 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
News Article: Two Arrested For ATM Fraud
« on: September 24, 2008, 07:30 PM »
In a spectacular display of the incompetence of financial institutions, and their reliance on security by obscurity, two bright-looking Nebraskan gentleman have been arrested for using the default administrative password to fool an ATM into dispensing large sums of money.

Screenshot - 25_09_2008 , 10_31_52 AM_thumb.png

It took a high-speed chase and some gunplay, but two men in Lincoln, Nebraska, are the first to face felony charges for using default passcodes to reprogram retail cash machines to dispense free money.

Jordan Eske and Nicolas Foster, both 21, are in Lancaster County Jail pending an October 1st arraignment. They're each charged with four counts of theft by deception, and one count of computer fraud, for allegedly pulling cash from privately owned ATMs at four stores in the area. The pair allegedly reprogrammed the machines to believe they were loaded with one-dollar bills instead of tens and twenties. A withdrawal of $20 would thus net $380.

Full Story

Ehtyar.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: News Article: Two Arrested For ATM Fraud
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:26 PM »
The pair allegedly reprogrammed the machines to believe they were loaded with one-dollar bills instead of tens and twenties. A withdrawal of $20 would thus net $380.

Not to worry, what goes around comes around.
Given the current economic situation, a withdrawal of $380 will soon be worth $20.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 06:11 AM »
Not to worry, what goes around comes around.
Given the current economic situation, a withdrawal of $380 will soon be worth $20.

Cool!!  I have a few things I want to order from the USA  :Thmbsup:

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 06:18 AM »
Ehtyar, maybe we should consider a "news" child board for these articles that can be found everywhere else online? By the time I get to DC, I've read or seen these in several other places (cnet, zdnet, google news, slashdot, eweek, all things digital, etc.) Better, combine them into a larger post.

Just a suggestion.  ;)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 06:54 AM »
Ehtyar, maybe we should consider a "news" child board for these articles that can be found everywhere else online? By the time I get to DC, I've read or seen these in several other places (cnet, zdnet, google news, slashdot, eweek, all things digital, etc.) Better, combine them into a larger post.

Just a suggestion.  ;)
Mmm. Most of us use the unread posts function, so that's why we added the prefixes, but it has been a topic discussed at length on the irc *shameless plug* channel. I'm sure we will have a solution soon.

Ehtyar.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 08:43 AM »
I did use that page, but the post list is too short on each page. I just jump directly to the boards instead. Wish I had time to do the IRC thing; I'm sure I miss a lot of fun there!  :D