ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

News Article: HP and Symantec Develop Sandboxed Firefox

(1/1)

Ehtyar:
HP and Symantec have joined forces to develop/release a sandboxed Firefox on HPs new HP Compaq dc7900 enterprise desktop.

Today, the hardware maker unleashed the HP Compaq dc7900, a business desktop with a version of Firefox that isn't really there. Developed in tandem with Symantec, the Firefox for HP Virtual Solutions browser operates in a runtime netherworld that's separate from the rest of the machine.

This means that when malware attacks, the machine itself is unharmed. "[This virtual Firefox browser] ensures that employees can utilize the World Wide Web productively, while keeping business PCs stable and easier to support," writes Symantec technical product manager Scott Jones. "Changes made to a PC while surfing the Web are contained in a 'virtual layer' and do not permanently alter the machine."

--- End quote ---

Full Story

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
Sounds interesting - wonder what level of sandboxing they use?

edbro:
I don't see why this is so earth shattering. I always run my Firefox in a sandbox (sandboxie).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version