topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Blog Post: India Uses Brain Scans To Confirm Guilt In Court  (Read 4410 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Blog Post: India Uses Brain Scans To Confirm Guilt In Court
« on: September 24, 2008, 06:59 PM »
Inidia is now using EEGs to determine the guilt or innocence of a defendant in court.

Screenshot - 25_09_2008 , 10_01_07 AM_thumb.png

This latest Indian attempt at getting past criminals’ defenses begins with an electroencephalogram, or EEG, in which electrodes are placed on the head to measure electrical waves. The suspect sits in silence, eyes shut. An investigator reads aloud details of the crime — as prosecutors see it — and the resulting brain images are processed using software built in Bangalore.

The software tries to detect whether, when the crime’s details are recited, the brain lights up in specific regions — the areas that, according to the technology’s inventors, show measurable changes when experiences are relived, their smells and sounds summoned back to consciousness. The inventors of the technology claim the system can distinguish between people’s memories of events they witnessed and between deeds they committed.

Full Blog
Full Story

Ehtyar.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Blog Post: India Uses Brain Scans To Confirm Guilt In Court
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:29 PM »
That can't be accurate! :-/

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:34 PM »
seriously? they must be in a hurry to clear up the backlog of cases. even the polygraph which has around for some time has caused much angst when brought up in courts.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:20 AM »
they must be in a hurry to clear up the backlog of cases.

Indians? In a rush!? Why wasn't I informed about this earlier? The government hasn't even hung the fanatic who was involved in the attempted parliament bombing yet. 8)

I think this may be a one-off though, I believe even statements made under narco-analysis (which is carried out with increasing regularity these days) aren't admissible as binding evidence. It has excellent entertainment value when the interrogation clips are aired though, especially in 2008060254060501.jpg this guys's case. Big gravitationally-challenged dude slurring away on a bed with a small chirpy woman running around slapping him... "Tell me, Telgi! *slap* Tell me!"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:22 AM by nosh »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 07:28 AM »
ROFL... :D

:D

That was Funny, I never heard that  :o , But when did Indian Cops started cathcing the real criminals  :D

@Nosh : Abdul karim telgi's case is on hold, because of racist objections...I wonder if cops allow him to get out of jail bcoz of that reason :o