ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I Stay Or Should I Go -- A Social Networking Dilemma

(1/2) > >>

tinjaw:
Yesterday I started trying to update all of my social networking sites. It is proving to be quite a horrendous challenge. I have come to the conclusion that it isn't worth all the effort to do it.

But then a second dilemma occurs. Do I outright delete me accounts (on Facebook, MySpace, etc.) or do I let the rot away without the necessary gardening required to keep them current?

I doubt I will outright cancel my accounts because they might prove usefull some point in the future, but I can't see going to each one and delete my current information down the the bare minimum acceptable to each individual site.

I am sure that, for specific purposes, these sites have been extremely useful to many people. However, I don't see these things as very usefull to me in general.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you have anything that might convince me to spend the effort gardening for potentially hours each week? The obvious answer is for me to decide to only maintain the ones that I feel provide me value for my time spent with them. What should I do with the rest?

I'm curious to hear the discussion that could follow.

Paul Keith:
I'm not really sure. Have you tried out Profilactic or at least FriendFeed?

4wd:
I am sure that, for specific purposes, these sites have been extremely useful to many people. However, I don't see these things as very usefull to me in general.-tinjaw (September 24, 2008, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

You've already said it's not useful to you....so why bother with it?

Personally I can't imagine anything more boring than a Social Networking site.

Then again, I'm not a "look at me" kind of person.  I'm more your Repairman Jack type who shuns the limelight, (or indeed any light some would say :) ).

Deozaan:
Update them all with a link to your latest updates/info on ONE website.

Fred Nerd:
I agree with Deozaan, I have a Facebook which says "see my MySpace" and a Bebo which says the same, and if any of my friend are on another network, I'll register and say the same thing....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version