ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Program closer

(1/3) > >>

m_s:
Would it be possible (or does anybody know if somebody has done this already?) to make a program that could sit in the system-tray and which would, on a mouseclick, drop down a list of running processes, so that the user could simple click, say, a red x to close any particular program or process?  Where would this be useful?  Well, I would find it handy for shutting down MS ActiveSync, which runs automatically when I attach my Pocket PC, but which I don't want running all the time (so I have taken it out of my startup progams list); and after ActiveSync has run, it would be useful for shutting down the several stray copies of Outlook that AS spawns...  And I'm sure I would find it useful at many other points in the day.  I know I can do this with Process Explorer - and I do daily - but I'm wondering if there might be a simple, elegant little program that could do it in fewer steps?

Carol Haynes:
If they are specific processes you know are running it should be easy to write an AutoHotKey script to shut them down. Something like this should work for Outlook.exe

--- ---Process, wait, Outlook.exe, 1    ; Wait 1 second to see if Outlook.exe exists in the running processes list
NewPID = %ErrorLevel%           ; Save the value immediately since ErrorLevel is often changed.
if NewPID = 0
{
  MsgBox Outlook Wasn't running anyway
  exit
}

; Otherwise close all running instances of Outlook.exe
MsgBox All instances of Outlook will now be closed
Process, waitclose, Outlook.exe, 5   ; Allow Outlook 5 seconds to close
NewPID = %ErrorLevel%
if NewPID <> 0
 MsgBox One or more instances of Outlook could not be closed
exit

I haven't actually tried this but it is a slightly modified example script from the AHK Help file

rjbull:
a program that could sit in the system-tray and which would, on a mouseclick, drop down a list of running processes, so that the user could simple click, say, a red x to close any particular program or process?  Where would this be useful?  Well, I would find it handy for -m_s (November 14, 2005, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not system tray (use a program launcher like Horst Schaeffer's PopSel or Qsel); but try Taskill by DS Software  http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/
 "Taskill v1.02 [6kB]

Taskill is a process viewer and killer. It works in GUI or CLI mode and can kill multiple instances of the same task in one go."

Note the program size: 6kB!

skrommel:
 :) My program CloseMany should do many of the things you ask for.

The thread is here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1288.0

Skrommel

m_s:
That looks promising, Skrommel, but I have a problem with it failing to find the Task Manager, probably because I use Sysinternals Process Explorer instead...  Any way of working with this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version