topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FARR plugin: FARR Remember The Milk 1.1.3  (Read 286467 times)

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
Re: New plugin: FARR Remember The Milk 0.0.3
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 02:28 AM »
Hi,
great plugin ;) I like the idea of using list mode :Thmbsup: I have to start using it as well ;)

Just one think. When I tried to link my RTM I was not able, since I have set "Window mode/focus => Hide when focus is lost", so always when it redirected me to webpage, FARR lost focus and I was not complete linking.
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 03:23 AM »
Yeah, I'm using it too. Hasn't done anything wrong for me, works as you said it would, no need to post except to say thanks  ;)
Hi Grorgy

Posts like yours are important for me (and other plugin writers I guess) for at least two reasons:
Firstly, knowing how many people use a piece of software, or at least that it is being used, gives a feeling about the plugins stability, i.e. if you don't get any bug reports it could be because there are no bugs or it could just as well be because no one's using it. And secondly: I've invested a considerable amount of my spare time implementing this plugin. Already now it probably does much more than I will ever use. The question is simply if it's worth spending any more time on it.

Cheers
Philipp

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 04:15 AM »
Hi,
great plugin ;) I like the idea of using list mode :Thmbsup: I have to start using it as well ;)

Just one think. When I tried to link my RTM I was not able, since I have set "Window mode/focus => Hide when focus is lost", so always when it redirected me to webpage, FARR lost focus and I was not complete linking.
Thanks czechboy! Yes, list mode is a very powerful view mode because it allows for user interaction, and in a way FARR users (or of other launchers for that matter) are used to.

Concerning that option you mention: thanks for reporting that. Reminds me of the fact that I wanted to ask mouser to add the possibility for plugins to query (and possibly even modify) FARR settings. Meanwhile (or until I can think of an other way to fix that problem) I'll add it to the FARR options requirements in the FarrRmilk help file.

cspeirce

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 05:08 AM »
Just tried 0.0.3 but after loging in to rtm and saying "Yes" the website tells me:

"Uh oh... something went wrong. Don't worry though; it's not your fault. The application you're using to interact with Remember The Milk made an error. It might be worthwhile contacting the author of the application and telling them you encountered this page.

Alternatively, you might like to wait a little while and then try again."

Any ideas, what might be wrong?

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 05:16 AM »
Just tried 0.0.3 but after loging in to rtm and saying "Yes" the website tells me:

"Uh oh... something went wrong. Don't worry though; it's not your fault. The application you're using to interact with Remember The Milk made an error. It might be worthwhile contacting the author of the application and telling them you encountered this page.

Alternatively, you might like to wait a little while and then try again."

Any ideas, what might be wrong?
The only time I ever saw this was when I tried to make FarrRmilk connect to RTM via https instead of http. I doubt that helps you much though. I'll have to investigate...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 06:51 AM »
Mentioned on the official remember the milk blog today:
http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/

ps.
Is it just me or is phitsc trying to compete with me in a contest of who can do the worst job of naming their software?  May i suggest that trying to pronounce "FarrRMillk" is reminiscent of reciting poetry while eating peanut butter..  How about changing the name while you still have time, before it gets too popular.  I suggest something simple like: "FarrMilk".  Kind of sounds like a science fiction energy drink of the future.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 08:34 AM »
Mentioned on the official remember the milk blog today:
http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/

ps.
Is it just me or is phitsc trying to compete with me in a contest of who can do the worst job of naming their software?  May i suggest that trying to pronounce "FarrRMillk" is reminiscent of reciting poetry while eating peanut butter..  How about changing the name while you still have time, before it gets too popular.  I suggest something simple like: "FarrMilk".  Kind of sounds like a science fiction energy drink of the future.
Oh, how did they find out so fast? I had hoped to keep it in this room until I'm at least at version 0.1.0 ;)

FarrMilk sounds good to me. Never tried to pronounce FarrRmilk myself, haha.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 09:06 AM »
wow congrats!! keep the momentum! Consider a pirate version FarrrrrrrAle

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New plugin: FARR Remember The Milk 0.1.0
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 04:45 PM »
I have uploaded version 0.1.0 now. This version has only two changes:
- On mouser's suggestion, I changed the name from FarrRmilk to FarrMilk. And mouser, I used your slogan as a subtitle in the help file (I hope you don't mind)
- I replaced the libcurl DLL with yet another version. The other one was giving me problems on my work PC and that's where I use the plugin most ;) One day, when I'm grown up, I'll compile my very own libcurl DLL!

Please note that I'm going the easy way with renaming and don't try to keep the updater compatible with version 0.0.3. I hope you guys forgive me that updating to 0.1.0 will need some handiwork. Do the following:
- Quit FARR
- Open a windows explorer and go to c:\Program Files\FindAndRunRobot\Plugins (if you installed to the default directory)
- Delete the directory FarrRmilk
- Then install the new version 0.1.0 as it says in the first post
- Restart FARR

You'll lose your options. But there aren't that many anyway.

If anyone has problems with this libcurl DLL (you would notice right on startup, i.e. the first time you type rtm), please report here or write me a PM/email!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 04:47 PM by phitsc »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 12:41 AM »
Actually, you don't need to Quit FARR. Just type 'goreload' (a message box appears, don't click yet) then delete FarrRMilk dir and unzip the new FarrMilk to Plugins/FarrMilk dir, and click OK in the FARR message box. Voilà!

Btw, phitsc, new version seems to work just fine :)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 01:18 AM »
Actually, you don't need to Quit FARR. Just type 'goreload' (a message box appears, don't click yet) then delete FarrRMilk dir and unzip the new FarrMilk to Plugins/FarrMilk dir, and click OK in the FARR message box. Voilà!

Btw, phitsc, new version seems to work just fine :)
Thanks TucknDar for pointing that out and for letting me know that the new version works for you.

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Something that annoys me a little bit is that the task list is not the same for 1 task vs. more tasks. With more tasks, it's a simple short list. If you have only 1 task, however, the list suddenly shows all the details about this 1 task (instead of having to select it and press enter). It's not consistent and I think don't really like it :) I like just seeing the title I gave it in the first place, I never add details anyway.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 04:33 PM »
Something that annoys me a little bit is that the task list is not the same for 1 task vs. more tasks. With more tasks, it's a simple short list. If you have only 1 task, however, the list suddenly shows all the details about this 1 task (instead of having to select it and press enter). It's not consistent and I think don't really like it :) I like just seeing the title I gave it in the first place, I never add details anyway.
Yes, it's a valid point. I'm working on mouser's suggestion now, changing the behaviour of the tasks command to show an action list on hitting Enter on the selected task instead of showing its properties (which will then be an item in the action list). With this, I will also resolve the current inconsistency between the handling of incomplete and completed tasks (there's currently no way for example to delete a completed task). Obviously, if filtering down to one task would already show the task's properties, there would be no way of getting to the action list anymore. Nevertheless, you should still think about adding some details to your tasks to pep them up a bit ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 11:55 PM »
great to hear.

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 05:34 PM »
Just another thing I thought about; as I (and maybe more of us) only use rtm as-if it was a (physical) todo list - so without details -, I'd like it to have an option to disable the display of all the details on the task page. This way, it allows the task title to be bigger and take up more space and it looks a bit cleaner. I really do not need to reed the tasks are in my inbox and have no due date 10 times :)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008, 12:29 AM »
Just another thing I thought about; as I (and maybe more of us) only use rtm as-if it was a (physical) todo list - so without details -, I'd like it to have an option to disable the display of all the details on the task page. This way, it allows the task title to be bigger and take up more space and it looks a bit cleaner. I really do not need to reed the tasks are in my inbox and have no due date 10 times :)
If you mean the tasks command (what you get when you just type 'rtm+Enter') then type 'rtm options+Enter' and tick 'Only show used task properties' and 'Omit priority' (that's actually the settings I use myself, they are not the default though). Doing this you get rid of all but the list.

What you mean with
This way, it allows the task title to be bigger and take up more space
you'll have to explain though.

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 07:49 AM »
Ah I didn't tick 'only show used task properties', that helped already. But now the only thing remaining is "List: Inbox", which I really couldn't care less about. My point was that if "List: Inbox" would also be removed, the title could take up more (vertical) space, like in these screens:

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New plugin: FARR Remember The Milk 0.2.0
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2008, 04:30 PM »
Version 0.2.0 is now available. See version history on first post for a list of changes. Feedback is still welcome!

Philipp

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2008, 04:38 PM »
The new workflow of selecting a task and then choosing what to do is soo much more intuitive to me.. love it.  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Huge improvement on an already amazing plugin.

ps.
By the way for people who dont know about the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+Backspace, FarrMilk is the ideal place to use it -- it removes the last word on in the search box, which for FarrMilk almost always is like a back button.  :up:

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2008, 05:03 AM »
ps.
By the way for people who dont know about the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+Backspace, FarrMilk is the ideal place to use it -- it removes the last word on in the search box, which for FarrMilk almost always is like a back button.  :up:
ALT + LARROW does the same thing doesn't it?

Excellent update phitsc! I like you can now only show the title. Still a minor thing; now that the whole bottom line (which can contain priority, due date etc) is empty I think it makes sense to use a bigger font size for the title like in the screenshots I posted :)

Great work  :-*
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:09 AM by d4ni »

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2008, 06:30 AM »
Excellent update phitsc! I like you can now only show the title. Still a minor thing; now that the whole bottom line (which can contain priority, due date etc) is empty I think it makes sense to use a bigger font size for the title like in the screenshots I posted :)

Great work  :-*
Don't know if that's possible. I only tell FARR what to display. Displaying the items is done by FARR.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FarrMilk - Tips & Tricks
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2008, 07:42 AM »
I have put together a few tips and tricks which might not be obvious from the help file. I hope you find them useful.

Adding tasks

• Fastest way to add a task:

rtm a Title of task

This task will belong to the Inbox list.
<br>
  • Parameters and switches don't have to be at the end, e.g. these are the same:

rtm a Title of task /list=FarrMilk<br>
    rtm a /list=FarrMilk Title of task

They can even be at the beginning and at the end, e.g.

rtm a /list=FarrMilk Title of task /p1

This can be convenient for example when used together with FARR hotkeys. If you have a list which you add tasks to very often, you can create a FARR hotkey for it by opening FARR's options window, then go to Lists - Hotkeys, right click the hotkeys list and select 'Add a new entry', in the 'Text for Search Edit Box' type, e.g. 'rtm a /list=FarrMilk ' (note the space at the end) and choose a hotkey. When pressing that hotkey FARR will open and all you have to do is type the name of the task. You can now still add /p1 at the end to make it a high priority task or add a due date with the /due parameter, or add any of the other possible options.
<br>
  • To make a task due today or tomorrow you can use the /today or /tomorrow switch respectively.
<br>

Viewing tasks

• Fastest way to view all your tasks:

type rtm+Enter

then continue typing to filter for a specific task.
<br>
  • Overdue tasks have a * after their due date.
<br>
  • Use the 'Only show used task properties' and 'Omit priority' options to de-clutter the tasks list. Type rtm options+Enter to open the options window.
<br>
  • Type rtm t /today or rtm t /tomorrow to filter for today's or tomorrow's tasks respectively. Type rtm /overdue to show all overdue tasks.
<br>
  • Whenever you see tasks in the FARR result list (which is most of the time) note that the status bar will show you how many overdue tasks are currently in the list as well as display the total estimated time of all tasks in the list.
<br>
  • When sorting tasks you can reverse the sort order by adding a - at the end of the sort switch, e.g. to sort alphabetically from z to a type rtm t /sn-
<br>
  • With the /sa switch you can sort tasks according to their add date, something you can't do in the RTM web interface.
<br>

Other

• After editing a task in the RTM web interface, type rtm reload+Enter to update FarrMilk's cache.

loetje

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2008, 09:04 AM »
1223386949screenshot.jpg

I get this message when i try to allow FARR to access my rtm. How can I fix this?

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 12:09 PM »
I get this message when i try to allow FARR to access my rtm. How can I fix this?

I've found a way to reproduce this. Could you please check if this is what might have happened?

When you type rtm for the first time, two things happen:
1. FARR shows a single result which is 'Grant Access Permission'
2. A web browser opens asking you to log into your RTM account, and if you did that, presenting you a page with an 'OK, I'll allow it' button on it.

What you have to do now is:
1. Press the 'OK, I'll allow it button' first. And only after you did that:
2. Select 'Grant Access Permission' in FARR and hit Enter

If you do it the other way round, i.e. select 'Grant Access Permission' first, in which case the status bar will read 'Granting access failed', and then hit the 'OK, I'll allow it' button, you'll get that 'API issue' page.

I also got that very same page when I was experimenting with accessing RTM via https instead of http (with the API), so I guess there are other scenarios that lead to the same error page.

differentspin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2008, 04:13 PM »
What would be the easiest way to view/edit notes for a task that you have already brought up.

For example if I'm at: rtm tasks /id:xxxxxxxx,xxxxxxxx,xxxxxxxx

Thanks!