ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2007

New Getting Organized Experiment?

<< < (7/9) > >>

Paul Keith:
Pre-second post reply:

Thanks tomos. The summary is the quote itself. I just expanded on the idea of the person I'm quoting and sometimes I add my own take and examples to give the reader more of my interpretation than just a mere copy-paste.

I'm sorry for getting you guys to read my long posts. I've really been trying to work on it and if you'll notice, I've added some images in my recent posts but it's just not working out that well. (based on the number of replies)

When superboyac pointed this out to me, I told him I do try to work around this by often putting the core points up top and letting the reader decide how far detailed they want to read without really forcing them to read the entire post to get the core of what I'm saying. Unfortunately as you pointed out, many seem to see the length and are just turned off by it.

I'm also at a dilemma because I don't want to over-simplify my post. The way I see it, there are already tons of short posts and rarely long posts and for me, it's really the long posts that I find really valuable since they're so rare to chance by.

I also rarely if never write a post I myself don't skim or read and I often find these kinds of posts short. (Especially considering how many productivity people could read an entire GTD book in one sitting. Yes, books and webpages are different but just the number of pages in that book compared to my post seem to balance both out in my opinion.)

At this point, I just don't know how to communicate my words. I'm thinking maybe writing a blog but I haven't gotten around to making one as I'm occupied with something else plus then I have to risk blogspamming since a starting blog doesn't get much audience. It's a real headache. I don't feel like I'm writing complex stuff but it seems many feel that way and I don't know how to tell them in shorter words. (or rather I do but I don't want to skimp out on the examples and details considering that's what I often found most valuable when reading forums and blogs and not the short "yeah, I agree" kind of posts)

Post-second post reply:

Yeah, I rarely reply to a topic I haven't read fully. I might've missed an idea here or there but I did read the entire post.

No, I'm not saying it's a waste of time. You said it's what I want to make out so as inspired by the quote, I thought: "Well... since there are tons of Productivity articles telling you to Stop! Organize! then Go! how about something that's revolved around the idea of Organize while you're Disorganized and just go, go, go." (Since many, especially poor people are like that. Case in point, you can't afford to read tons of productivity blogs and buy tons of books if you can only afford to rent a PC. Not to mention the security risks of checking your e-mail on a public PC.)

I haven't really tried Mark Forster's AF yet. I got the initial e-mail as to what to expect but I can't seem to find any link that points me to the actual system when I skimmed it just now. I might have to wait for another e-mail.

mouser:
One of the things i agree with Paul about is that one should be wary of any big elaborate "System" constructed by one person with a book to sell or an infomercial promoting it.

Like diet fads and excercise devices, there is a huge incentive in such cases to try to make everything sound like its a brand new revolutionary system that must be taught to you by a single cult personality in order for you to gain the benefits.

On the other hand, I'm an old fashioned fan of books, and a belief that a single author with a book can communicate deeper more thought out ideas in a book than is possible in a blog post summarizing an idea you were discussing over dinner.  Both have their place.

As for productivity methods.. I guess i would put myself in the camp of people that believe that:

* Its worth trying to be more productive
* There are some fundamental universal ideas in productivity that if you understand you can work better and more efficiently, and that these are worth learning.
* There is no one best method.  Different people work in different ways and that much of the game is finding the small tricks and techniques that help you work better in the style that you do your best work in already.

kwacky1:
Paul, I feel that your post represents the sentiments of the previous GOE's, based on what I've read about the previous GOE's so far.

I feel that the GOE is a frugal productivity system, it has a kind "bite off as much or as little as you want, no more, no less, we'll support you all the way"

Plus I feel the GOE addresses your 3rd point, community.  DC is already a community, yes it's primary purpose is software and software development, but there is so much more to this site than that (and I know I've hardly scratched the surface).  DC is full of sub communities, and I feel the GOE community is just a bunch of disorganised, disillusioned or disinterested people who aren't completely sold on the ideas of the 'trailblazers' and are looking deeper for something more.

For me, GOE seems to be about a journey of discovery, it's just another level of research.  I mean really, I wonder how many people took part in GOE, got organised and then got disorganised?  (Maybe they're following some Not GTD fad)

Hey, that would be cool, a Getting Disorganised Experiment.

Up until recently I was terminally disorganised.  I found a GTD system that works for me at work and am now looking for something that will help me outside of work (and yes I signed up for and am currently using, Autofocus).

Oh, and Paul, your posts are too long, but I do enjoy healthy discussion!   :Thmbsup:

mouser:
I'd kind of like to see the new GOE offer a place where, among other things of course, members can try to invent new Productivity systems -- i think maybe we could have some fun trying to come up with new and unusual systems.

nudone:
i propose we try the "works for 2 months system". this consists of defining a set of rules, doesn't really matter what they are, and then you carry them out.

it'll work just as well as any other system that's out there, i.e. it'll work whilst you are engaged and believe in it, then after about 2 months you'll find it less and less effective, eventually you'll abandon it and declare that the system just isn't good enough.

at this point the "works for 2 months system" goes to its next stage. this is where you completely reinvent the system's rules. the process starts all over again - it works for 2 months whilst you feel enthusiastic and believe in the new rule set.

caveats:

* you have to believe it's the "works for 2 months system" that's making you productive, NOT simply the fact that you are making an effort each day to do the "right thing".
* you have to follow the rules of the system, well, a little. well, maybe just when you feel like it.
sorry for sounding cynical.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version