topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Superior Software List  (Read 9512 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Superior Software List
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:33 PM »
The Superior Software List

I have finally begun work on the list of software I recommend.  I modeled it after Zaine's list, and since he doesn't 'do' Windows software anymore, I hope you can rely on my picks as trustworthy recommendations.

PS I know I already posted this in my general website announcement here, but that thread is ultra boring, I know.  This software list is especially dedicated to the members here.  Thanks to DC for hosting my site also.  This is a great place.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Superior Software List
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 05:36 PM »
I modeled it after Zaine's list

So, are you going to post the occasional nudie pic?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 05:41 PM »
Ha!!  Hmm...the man has good taste, you must admit.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Oh that sucks. I was hoping someone would mix the Mashable Long as Hell Lists with the way Kathy Sierra used to blog by creating two similar articles, one that was short and precise and the other being long and chock full of in depth thoughts but that's just me. I've been burned for so long with lists that recommended products but never linked to in-depth reviews of those products and just cross-reference an old article they wrote about said products.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:38 AM »
I bet you like the long reviews, Paul!  You write the longest posts ever!  Ha!
I'm with you about the long, in-depth reviews.  But from a maintenance standpoint, it's impossible to keep up with it.  Like my Notetaking roundup, that thing took so long to do, I can barely ever do something like that again with all my other responsibilities.

Yes, it's nice to have somebody go in-depth into every feature of a piece of software, but for me at least, it would be impossible.  That's why I really liked Zaine's list, it's just a long list with short little blurbs about the software.  After trying out a couple of his suggestions, I realized I really trusted his opinions on this, so I could blindly select anything from the list and I know it would be good.  No need for some really long review.

And that's what these lists come down to...trust.  If you trust my choice in software, then you will trust most of what's in that list.  If not, sure, a long explanation will help, but it's still not quite as powerful as trust.

The other thing that you have to understand is that the majority of people are not like you.  They don't like to read super long posts nor do they write super long posts.  So, when they see an extremely long review about a piece of software they are considering, they may not even have th motivation to read the whole thing and just ignore it as soon as they see the length.  You write some seriously long posts, brother, and as much as I like reading your posts, I know for a fact that most people would not pay attention to everything you write (I'm not normal either!).

So, you prefer to be really, really complete and extremely detailed when you write something.  But that's not necessarily better than taking a step back, and just concentrating what you want to say in a very short, concise way.  That is what Zaine is so good at in his list.  In a couple of sentences, you get the idea.  Now go download the software and play with it.

The way that you get turned off by a short, not detailed review is the most people would get turned off by an extremely long review.

And yes, you're exactly right when you say it would be ideal to have a short excerpt and a super long article for each piece of software on the list.  But I don't have the time, no way.  I wanted to be able to reach and help as many people as I could with the limited amount of time I have to spend on these software reviews, and doing it the short way is the best way in this case.  The 1% of the additional population I would reach (like you) with a very long review wouldn't justify the extreme time spent writing the review.

Oh that sucks.
I definitely did not appreciate that comment.  I understand what you are saying.  But my list is sort of a "thank you" to DC members, and you just can't say that.  Even though I don't write the details, I put a lot of thought and experience into what appears in that list.  I can talk for pages about exactly what I like about each and every one of those programs, I just don't have the time to write it all out.  This forum here is very special, and there's a lot of trust between the members.  Don't devalue the importance of that trust.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 01:45 AM by superboyac »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 01:41 AM »
Bookmarked!  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:42 AM »
looking forward to this superboyac!

is the list going to be sorted in some way ? (alphabetical/other?)
or grouped for that matter ?
Tom

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 03:40 AM »
superboyac: Great work!
I like where this is heading, just read the article on SFFS and it moved me to check it out ;)
Only one suggestion: the list is quite long, and will get longer in time, I suppose; So try to group the programs somehow, or it'll be too hard to navigate.

@Paul Keith: I don't think that's the right way to treat a member of DC who is trying to do something for the community.
You sure can dislike the site, I just think you chose the wrong way to express it. Some constructive criticism would be better, as the way you expressed yourself is just offensive towards the author of the work, IMO.

[edit] typos galore [/edit]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 04:32 AM by jgpaiva »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 03:49 AM »
How about, instead of a lengthy review, a list of links to other reviews? IIRC SFFS was mini-reviewed on DC, so a link to that would be very helpful for anyone wanting a more thorough review.

I'm more of a fan of the way your list looks to be heading, a short description with some personal observations, but again som links to other reviews would be great!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 04:03 AM »
love the MLO text:

This is a very useful program for you busybodies out there.
I’m not very busy myself, but I pretend to be with this program.
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 05:50 AM »
good initiative, picking up the mantle from zridling. can't wait for the list to be on its feet. :Thmbsup:

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 06:08 AM »
Also some alternatives listed for the software would be a great little addition. Something like mouser lists in the help files for his apps.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 06:41 AM »
@superboyac @jgpaiva

Sorry. Those words weren't really intended to offend.

You sure can dislike the site, I just think you chose the wrong way to express it. Some constructive criticism would be better, as the way you expressed yourself is just offensive towards the author of the work, IMO.

Agreed and that's why I added the part about Mashable and Kathy Sierra as those were the formats that resounded well with me.

Any further constructive criticism I really couldn't share as the list isn't up yet.

I definitely did not appreciate that comment.  I understand what you are saying.  But my list is sort of a "thank you" to DC members, and you just can't say that.  Even though I don't write the details, I put a lot of thought and experience into what appears in that list.  I can talk for pages about exactly what I like about each and every one of those programs, I just don't have the time to write it all out.  This forum here is very special, and there's a lot of trust between the members.  Don't devalue the importance of that trust.

I'm not sure if this was lost in translation but I wasn't criticizing your site content as much as the model. Just making sure that was clear.

I would have quoted the part about Zaine's list since that was what I mainly reference on but I didn't feel it was necessary since someone quoted that section just right before my post.

I bet you like the long reviews, Paul!  You write the longest posts ever!  Ha!
I'm with you about the long, in-depth reviews.  But from a maintenance standpoint, it's impossible to keep up with it.  Like my Notetaking roundup, that thing took so long to do, I can barely ever do something like that again with all my other responsibilities.

Well, guilty as charged  ;D

I would just like to clarify though that it's not necessarily the length of the reviews that matter to me but the value. I'll clarify below.

The way that you get turned off by a short, not detailed review is the most people would get turned off by an extremely long review.

See, the thing is, believe it or not, I'm not turned off by a short, not detailed review.

The other thing that you have to understand is that the majority of people are not like you.  They don't like to read super long posts nor do they write super long posts.  So, when they see an extremely long review about a piece of software they are considering, they may not even have th motivation to read the whole thing and just ignore it as soon as they see the length.  You write some seriously long posts, brother, and as much as I like reading your posts, I know for a fact that most people would not pay attention to everything you write (I'm not normal either!).

So, you prefer to be really, really complete and extremely detailed when you write something.  But that's not necessarily better than taking a step back, and just concentrating what you want to say in a very short, concise way.  That is what Zaine is so good at in his list.  In a couple of sentences, you get the idea.  Now go download the software and play with it.

Don't worry, I understand. In fact, you could say that's why I prefer writing this way.

It's not so much of a desire to see something in-depth over something short but of the fact that Zaine's format has been overused.

Don't get me wrong, I like Zaine's choices. It's the format that's overused. This becomes problematic for users wanting to find something more because all these kinds of lists are designed to as you said "get the idea, go download the software and play with it." and what's worst, often times these becomes the list that gets on top of Google and on the frontpage of social media sites.

The end result being that even if the author didn't have that intention when writing the article, the bottomline is that these lists have become linkbaits whose value is to repeat certain programs that have been mentioned before and add "something" more and it's just a constant race of updating the format again and again with most writer expressing similar concerns as you.

This isn't bad per se because it is true that many don't have the time to maintain a detailed list but the unfortunate side effect is that the sheer amount of these kind of short lists outweigh in depth lists that in the long term, it produces a tidal wave effect where choice heavily favors a certain kind of "tech" searcher and the lesser ones must suffer through forums (most not being as kind as DC to newbies) or settle for a book that is basically a collection of blog articles combined, rephrased and polished and made to look scrumptious.

That is what the "Oh that sucks" meant. It wasn't so much "Oh that sucks, that list is not long enough" or "Oh that sucks, why bother making this list?" as much as "Oh, that's unfortunate. Another list that's not for people like me." 

To further clarify this, I'm not saying you should change the format and it might sound contradictory to what I've expressed above but the truth is, I'm truly not bothered by the Zaine's list format one bit and that is the optimum format for most diagonal readers so it's far from a bad thing in my opinion.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 12:14 PM »
is the list going to be sorted in some way ? (alphabetical/other?)
or grouped for that matter ?
As for categories:
I will definitely have the list separated into categories when I get a chance.  This was very important to me.  However, wordpress can't organize the articles alphabetically or manually using the default functions.  It's primarily a blog format, so everything works in a chronological way.  So, I have to come up with some custom php code to organize the list just the way I want.  It took me a bit of work just to get it the way it is right now (I don't know any code, so I'm learning as I go).  So yes, the list will be very well organized when I figure out how.

Also, since there are a lot of programs, the list gets really long with the thumbnails.  I want to also have a 'compact' version of the list, with just the titles and maybe short descriptions organized a more tightly.

Also some alternatives listed for the software would be a great little addition. Something like mouser lists in the help files for his apps.
Great idea.  I don't know if I will do this because it's more work (sorry).  I've had a hard time (ask mouser) coming up with ways to contribute effectively to this site because my time is so limited.  I'll list alternatives (like I do in the Super FLexible review) if it just comes to me naturally.  But I don't want to spend a lot of time coming up with a list.  My hope is that when you see my recommendation, you try the software out, and it satisfies your needs and you won't need an alternative.

Believe me guys, I want to be as complete and detailed as possible, it's just a time thing.  But we all trust each other here.  Often, when someone recommends a software here, I don't even read too much about what they write about, I just go and download it.  I've never had a problem yet.  I've yet to have a dc member recommend a crappy software.  That's why it's awesome here.

Paul, I wasn't that offended, I'm a pretty mellow guy.  I just wanted to point it out.  I know where you're coming from, don't worry about it.  This is a different kind of forum, and people are doing such nice things for each other, we go out of our way to always be polite.  It starts from mouser and extends all the way down.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 12:22 PM »
love the MLO text:

This is a very useful program for you busybodies out there.
I’m not very busy myself, but I pretend to be with this program.
Ha, yeah.  Don't you ever do that?  Organize your tasks in a list or something and then realize you're not quite as busy and important as you think you are?  I use MLO at work and it's true that it's pretty full.  But I tried it at home to keep track of home chores (paying bills, cleaning, etc.).  THen I looked at it and I was like, this is silly.  I was using it as a way to avoid work.  Just go do the laundry, dammit!

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 02:48 PM »
Paul, I wasn't that offended, I'm a pretty mellow guy.  I just wanted to point it out.  I know where you're coming from, don't worry about it.  This is a different kind of forum, and people are doing such nice things for each other, we go out of our way to always be polite.  It starts from mouser and extends all the way down.

Glad things worked out. Yeah, the quality of this forum is worth a guide by itself on how to achieve the same quality on other forums.