topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WoWAM - An addon manager to replace your WoW Launcher  (Read 10744 times)

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • "Premature Optimization is the root of all evil."
    • View Profile
    • CodeByter.com
    • Donate to Member
WoWAM - An addon manager to replace your WoW Launcher
« on: September 23, 2008, 12:02 PM »
With the constant flow of new updates for your favorite addons, it can get very tiresome to continually keep your World of Warcraft addons updated. I wanted a simple solution that made the task at hand easy. I didnt want a million extra options that clutter my addon manager. I checked some of the other addon managers available and while most of them did the job very well, none satisfied me personally. So, I took it upon myself to code something that I, along with other users, would enjoy. WoWAM is the result and it does the job very well! This addon manager provides the latest news straight from WoW Insider and checks to see if your addons are the latest greatest! I even added a button to launch WoW right from the program. Take note to the fact that you have to install the addon from my manager for it to show up in the list of currently installed addons but future plans to make this program recursively scan your addon directory to find the list of installed addons is in the making (given WoWAce's future plans don't take place too soon.)

Long story short, download it here.
CodeByter.com - http://www.codebyter.com

XKnight

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WoWAM - An addon manager to replace your WoW Launcher
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Hello!
I think your idea is just great. Just like you said the addon managers like WowAceUpdater or curse client are incomplete because they only can search for updates in their own site. I would like to know if your program can search for updates in multiple sites. Is that the great benefit of using your manager?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • "Premature Optimization is the root of all evil."
    • View Profile
    • CodeByter.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Well, to be honest, my updater doesnt do that... buttttttttt, this IS the game programming section, so if u have ideas as to how we could make a master repository list or something from which we could gather info about addons from multiple sites, post them! I want this updater to be something that can be used for quite awhile and not some little 2 day app :)

I've been looking into more information about collecting data from multiple sites and trying to figure out if I could add a list of sites to this updater from which it can check for the latest greatest... It would definately be a difficult task because it would have to gather all the info from those multiple sites and compare versions from each to check to see which is the most update... We could make the program have a rating system for which addons, when compared with other sites, are the most up-to-date and add all kinds of statistics for the user :)

I wanted to incorporate the idea of a "Addon 'Store' " from which users could browse available addons and install them... But, these are just a few ideas of the many that exist...

The problem that I run into is when I try to collect data from other addon sites like curse... simply because they, themselves, do not have a master list of addons like wowace does... It was easy to acquire data from wow ace because there list was in xml (and sloppy) but i parsed it for the data and figured out what could be used... I used the same method to grab the news from WoW Insider :)
CodeByter.com - http://www.codebyter.com
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:26 PM by Codebyte »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 03:12 PM »
the wowace site now forces everyone to the curse site so most add on managers are broken