ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Lower The Lights? Easier To Read Websites?

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
Maybe this might be of interest. It just showed up on Download Squad.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/02/21/f-lux-adapts-your-display-to-the-time-of-day/

F.lux adapts your display to the time of day

by Jay Hathaway Feb 21st 2009

Let's face it: some of us don't get outside as much as we should. When you're working or playing in front of your computer all day, you don't always notice little things like a sunset. An ingenious little app called F.lux lets your monitor adjust to ambient lighting conditions around you, even when you're glued to the keyboard. It adjusts your display settings based on location and your current lighting setup, complementing the lighting inside your room or cube.

As time passes, F.lux checks the status of the sun in your zip code or latitude, and adjusts your display's color temperature accordingly. As a writer, I love the extra bit of environmental awareness it offers. As a designer, I would probably be utterly annoyed by shifting display settings. Good thing there's a handy "turn off for one hour" feature you can use to switch back to your regular whitepoint while you're working with color.

--- End quote ---

OldElmerFudd:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/02/21/f-lux-adapts-your-display-to-the-time-of-day/

Let's face it: some of us don't get outside as much as we should. When you're working or playing in front of your computer all day, you don't always notice little things like a sunset. An ingenious little app called F.lux lets your monitor adjust to ambient lighting conditions around you, even when you're glued to the keyboard. It adjusts your display settings based on location and your current lighting setup, complementing the lighting inside your room or cube.

As time passes, F.lux checks the status of the sun in your zip code or latitude, and adjusts your display's color temperature accordingly. As a writer, I love the extra bit of environmental awareness it offers. As a designer, I would probably be utterly annoyed by shifting display settings. Good thing there's a handy "turn off for one hour" feature you can use to switch back to your regular whitepoint while you're working with color.

--- End quote ---

-40hz (February 21, 2009, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, F.lux is an odd one. I didn't set the time or latitude, but the software knew where I was. Since it's midnight, the program defaulted to 3400K halogen light and turned my screen the color of orange sorbet!? Exiting restored the screen nicely, but I haven't figured out why the color was so distorted. I'll wait until daylight and try it again, but I have a feeling the results won't encourage me to hang onto it.

:-\

nosh:
Just discovered Readability [via DI], which is a bookmarklet generator - it lets you specify custom style, size and margin and generates a bookmarklet on the fly.

scancode's light bg bookmarklet is a keeper, too.  :Thmbsup:

Edit: In 'Readability' the js and css is loaded from their site. Also, it fails to load the DC forum main page.   :-\

OldElmerFudd:

--- End quote ---

-40hz (February 21, 2009, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, F.lux is an odd one. I didn't set the time or latitude, but the software knew where I was. Since it's midnight, the program defaulted to 3400K halogen light and turned my screen the color of orange sorbet!? Exiting restored the screen nicely, but I haven't figured out why the color was so distorted. I'll wait until daylight and try it again, but I have a feeling the results won't encourage me to hang onto it.

:-\
-OldElmerFudd (March 06, 2009, 02:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Follow up: F.lux allowed normal screen brightness at noon yesterday, but as soon as sunset came, it went to that same weird orange. Turned it off and introduced the software to my buddy, Revo Uninstaller, http://www.revouninstaller.com/  Sayonara, F.lux!

hth

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version