ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Reading Administrator account files from USB

<< < (2/2)

PPLandry:
I was able to take ownership of some other account files and this without ever being asked a password... what kind of security is that? What is the point of setting access priviledges to files, if anybody can simply bypass this and simple take ownership?

I'm happy to have been able to do it, but at the very least, I expected to be required to enter the original account credentials (account name, password), otherwise NTFS security is just a joke...

Ehtyar:
User accounts are not encrypted by default. This is an option you have to set in the user control panel. The algorithm used is fully secure as far as I am aware.

Ehtyar.

mwb1100:
I was able to take ownership of some other account files and this without ever being asked a password... what kind of security is that? What is the point of setting access priviledges to files, if anybody can simply bypass this and simple take ownership?

I'm happy to have been able to do it, but at the very least, I expected to be required to enter the original account credentials (account name, password), otherwise NTFS security is just a joke...
-PPLandry (September 24, 2008, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
I assume that you are running with an administrator account on the new machine?  Administrators have the right to take ownership of files.  If you were logged on as a non-admin user, you would not have been able to do this.

thorazine74:
If you are in Vista you can use this registry hack to add a context menu entry that will execute all the commands to gain access to the locked folder in just one click:

http://www.howtogeek.com/downloads/TakeOwnership.zip

Take from this page: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version