topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What Sports Do You Participate In?  (Read 35354 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What Sports Do You Participate In?
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 09:49 AM »
I'm for petanque... not too much traditional "sport" but trust me, you'll need to be in nice fit to be able to play long tournaments etc...

Especially if you start hitting the Pernod a little too early in the match!  ;D

Fitness is important. But from my experience with pentanque, you'll also need to be a 'Master of the Gentle Art of Debate.'

It's not always about how well you throw. Sometimes it's also how well you argue about which boule (calipers be damned!) is really closer to the jack. ;D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 10:34 AM »
When I can find enough friends and acquaintances for it, I do Ultimate Frisbee.
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Ultimate_frisbee
I'm sore for about a week afterwards so it's not a regular thing, and since church picnics are dying out along with the summer, it's getting harder to rally friends together for a match.

Other than that, I take my son for bicycle rides occasionally after dinners and on weekends. All over town and down backroads we have yet to explore. We usually end up going for longer than planned so we take snacks and water and flashlights. :)

alivingspirit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 08:00 PM »
What's the definition of sports? Isn't boules a game and cycling an activity? Phil is  :-\

That's a subject of much debate, but I'm more geared towards hearing about participation in the "pure" sports. ie: things that get your heart rate up for sustained periods of time or spike your heart rate to it's max like in sprints.

This isn't actually a random question, I have something big in the works that is related.....However, it's still far off.

From Wikipedia:
Sports is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

I love that definition.

Anyway, I do Basketball and Swimming.

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 05:02 AM »
What about fishing?

And spearfishing?

And flying? (I own a light plane [or rather, it owns me])

And horse riding? The proper kind, just a bridle, and going wild across the paddocks.......

And circle work in souped up utes?

How many of them qualify as sport?

VideoInPicture

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2008, 05:18 AM »
What about fishing?
I would say this is more of an activity for the human. The fish is spending most of the energy here.

And spearfishing?
Yes, I'd say this qualifies as a sport. You have to have good skills, hand eye-coordination, and the stamina to stab all those fish.

And flying? (I own a light plane [or rather, it owns me])
Unless you are that buzz light-year guy that built his own set of turbine-powered wings, I would have to say this is more of an activity.

And horse riding? The proper kind, just a bridle, and going wild across the paddocks.......
This would be a sport for horses. The human is just their for the ride.

And circle work in souped up utes?
??? I don't know what that is, but if it sounds energy intensive, so I guess it qualifies.  :D
Author of Circle Dock: http://circledock.wikidot.com
Author of Video In Picture: http://videoinpicture.wikidot.com
Author of Webcam Signature: http://webcamsignature.wikidot.com
Author of Easy Unicode Paster: http://easyunicodepaster.wikidot.com

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 07:24 AM »
I'm partial to skiing, having lived some youth years here: Misurina Lake
Also a bit of Ping Pong.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2008, 11:13 AM »
And horse riding? The proper kind, just a bridle, and going wild across the paddocks.....

Definition:

equitation - (noun) the practice of going from no place special, to no place in particular, at great personal expense and inconvenience - on horseback.

And just a bridle? No riding helmet? You obviously have much better medical insurance than I do. ;)

(BTW: my Lady is a lifelong "horse person" and a certified riding instructor. Can you guess that from the above?) ;D

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 02:12 PM »
(BTW: my Lady is a lifelong "horse person"

So is mine.  Ex-3 day eventer and now racehorse exercise rider.  This is the reason I create so many horse websites...

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2008, 05:33 AM »
I rely on soft ground, and good practise of falling off. Once you know how, its safe enough.  :)

Actually bareback riding is a lot safer in my opinion, no risk of being dragged with a foot stuck, just try to land on something soft......

BTW, I do carry accident insurance (had to for my job) but I didn't go into details when I said I ride horses......

BTWW circle work is in there for a joke, it's the Australian country young people's hobby of driving pickups (we call them utes) in circles kicking up dust and wearing out tyres. And having fun.
(and learning valuable driving skills for when you accidentally start skidding....)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2008, 12:18 PM »
BTWW circle work is in there for a joke, it's the Australian country young people's hobby of driving pickups (we call them utes) in circles kicking up dust and wearing out tyres. And having fun.
(and learning valuable driving skills for when you accidentally start skidding....)

We have something similar up here in New England, except we do it at 2:00AM on a frozen lake. I know it as a Nantucket Sleigh Ride. There are probably as many names for it (besides "Stupid") as there are towns and participants. But that's New England for you. Nobody agrees about anything - and everybody has their own names for things.

An Ozzie would probably feel right at home (and fit right in) around here! ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 12:21 PM by 40hz »

gogogadgetscott

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Mechanical engineer who has inexplicable knowledge
    • View Profile
    • GoGoGadgetScott's Site
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 07:33 PM »
cycling (road and mountain), rock climbing (indoor and out), bowling, and darts

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 02:48 AM »
Here in Romania, footbal (soccer, for non-europeans) is the most important sport there can be. I go with my co-workers and play every Tuesday. I also play table tennis and chess, and others, but less frequently. A sport I would like to participate in, but I do not have where, is rugby.  :(

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 03:02 AM »
I used to partake in:  Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Kickball, Volleyball

I currently play for recreation:  Basketball, Racquetball, Tennis (learning)

Would like to do more of:  Baseball, Biking, Hiking/Climbing, Kickball, Soccer

Nothing competitive currently, unfortunately.  Ohh and don't forget to Just Say NO to GOLF!

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 06:15 AM »
I participate with "freestyle Nunchaku" ~ I dunno if it can be classified as sport or extreme sports or just a hobby.. check my video @ http://www.youtube.c...e_videos?user=hapuzi  those moves are just community-based/forum/self-taught located at freestyleforum.net(in which I hope I am not advertising it). It has online activities like tournament/prizes/ladder battles(PVP) thru youtube and forum poll voting system. freestyle nunchaku(aka freechaku) is the modern version of nunchaku exhibition in a very innovative and unbelievable ways.

Other Activities I do is chopsticks throwing(using knife throwing technique applied with chopsticks).. and the common stuffs I do is Skateboarding..

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 01:19 PM »
When I was six years of age my big brother forced me to join him in the judo & jiu jitsu club. Later on he expanded it to this new thing in Denmark: karate. After some years I was lucky to get hit by rupture, and was free to stay at home. I might have learned to love these sports if anyone had ever care to ASK me if I actually wanted to go! He also assumed that I would like to learn how to shoot. I was maybe like 8 years old when I owned my first small caliber riffle, and maybe 12 when I had free private access to his guns. But again, I was never asked.

I started biking a lot, and as a young adult I played a little badminton and volleyball. I didn't join any organisation at the time but kept these sports as occasional hobbies for the fun of it. I was a soldier for many years, so I never felt any need for sports... When I stopped soldiering, my body wouldn't hear about athletic sports, so I took up shooting various types of pistols, guns, and riffles, and easily won a couple of minor competitions. But I didn't feel any joy doing it (too many memories?), so I stopped all together.

Wiffle-Ball  http://www.wiffle.com/welcome.htm
I don't have a choice. I grew up in the town where it was invented. ;D

Thanks for telling about this sport, 40hz  :up:

My situation today is a little similar, but only a little. Handball was invented in Denmark (and refined in Germany, for tournaments), and my only activity today, being old, fat, and partly disabled, is to watch handball :-*

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 06:01 AM by Curt »

smparadox

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2008, 01:47 PM »
I'm an avid bicycle racer on the road. What sports are people around here involved in?

I leap to conclusions.

-Forewarned...

...Is half an Octopus.

kevinjmills

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Redfern Place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2008, 10:50 PM »
That's a subject of much debate, but I'm more geared towards hearing about participation in the "pure" sports. ie: things that get your heart rate up for sustained periods of time or spike your heart rate to it's max like in sprints.

I'm a 41 year old road cyclist, but I don't compete in races.  I do, however, ride hard and fast, maxing out my HR on long hills.  And that's just my work commute, 30mi (48km) round trip.  That's my sport.  I'm training for my first triathlon(s) next summer, so lots of swimming and running on the plan for this winter.  Spent an evening this summer learning to ride in a local velodrome this summer, that was a lot of fun...and work.
--Kevin

Loki15

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 01:24 AM »
Baseball, Football, Basketball (Plan to play all 3 when I go back to school next year). I also do jiu jitsu, kickboxing, muay thai, wrestling, and boxing.  If pool is a sport I do that very often too.  With my girlfriend being a basketball player I have a feeling I'm gonna be playing a whole lot more of it then my every day "shoot around".  I also run too, if thats a sport?  Oh and competitive eating!! (Joke)
R.I.P Terry Winstel, you were a musician, a hero, and a well loved man.  But above all, you were my dad. Forever in my heart 1953-2009.

Gerboa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 08:59 AM »
I'm a volunteer badminton coach (BadmintonEngland level 2) and chairman of a badminton club (www.matchpoint.org.uk).

I also play squash occasionally, I'm learning karate with two of my kids, my wife and I have recently learned to windsurf and we've just finished paying for a Bulgarian ski apartment, so I'll be re-learning to ski (skied with school 20+ years ago!).

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2008, 03:15 AM »
Am I the only ice hockey player here?  =]  I've been playing since age four.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2008, 10:52 PM »
I lack the technique required to play most sports, so I the only thing I do is run very long distances till I get tired or bored or both.