ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What Sports Do You Participate In?

<< < (6/10) > >>

40hz:
I'm for petanque... not too much traditional "sport" but trust me, you'll need to be in nice fit to be able to play long tournaments etc...

-simakuutio (September 24, 2008, 12:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Especially if you start hitting the Pernod a little too early in the match!  ;D

Fitness is important. But from my experience with pentanque, you'll also need to be a 'Master of the Gentle Art of Debate.'

It's not always about how well you throw. Sometimes it's also how well you argue about which boule (calipers be damned!) is really closer to the jack. ;D

Edvard:
When I can find enough friends and acquaintances for it, I do Ultimate Frisbee.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_frisbee
I'm sore for about a week afterwards so it's not a regular thing, and since church picnics are dying out along with the summer, it's getting harder to rally friends together for a match.

Other than that, I take my son for bicycle rides occasionally after dinners and on weekends. All over town and down backroads we have yet to explore. We usually end up going for longer than planned so we take snacks and water and flashlights. :)

alivingspirit:
What's the definition of sports? Isn't boules a game and cycling an activity? Phil is  :-\
-PhilB66 (September 22, 2008, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a subject of much debate, but I'm more geared towards hearing about participation in the "pure" sports. ie: things that get your heart rate up for sustained periods of time or spike your heart rate to it's max like in sprints.

This isn't actually a random question, I have something big in the works that is related.....However, it's still far off.
-VideoInPicture (September 22, 2008, 06:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

From Wikipedia:
Sports is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.
--- End quote ---

I love that definition.

Anyway, I do Basketball and Swimming.

Fred Nerd:
What about fishing?

And spearfishing?

And flying? (I own a light plane [or rather, it owns me])

And horse riding? The proper kind, just a bridle, and going wild across the paddocks.......

And circle work in souped up utes?

How many of them qualify as sport?

VideoInPicture:
What about fishing?
I would say this is more of an activity for the human. The fish is spending most of the energy here.

And spearfishing?
Yes, I'd say this qualifies as a sport. You have to have good skills, hand eye-coordination, and the stamina to stab all those fish.

And flying? (I own a light plane [or rather, it owns me])
Unless you are that buzz light-year guy that built his own set of turbine-powered wings, I would have to say this is more of an activity.

And horse riding? The proper kind, just a bridle, and going wild across the paddocks.......
This would be a sport for horses. The human is just their for the ride.

And circle work in souped up utes?
??? I don't know what that is, but if it sounds energy intensive, so I guess it qualifies.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version