topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: News Article: Comcast Discloses Bandwidth Throttling Practices  (Read 4003 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Comcast has finally relented and admitted that it throttled p2p traffic on its network to the Federal Communications Commission.

Screenshot - 22_09_2008 , 9_48_45 PM_thumb.png

Comcast came clean with the Federal Communications Commission late Friday, detailing how it throttled and targeted peer-to-peer traffic -- maneuvers it has repeatedly denied.

The cable concern said it indeed hit "particular protocols that were generating disproportionate amounts of traffic." The peer-to-peer protocols, Comcast said, include Ares, BitTorrent, eDonkey, FastTrack and Gnutella -- vehicles used to transport copyrighted material without the owners' permission.

Full Story

Ehtyar.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: News Article: Comcast Discloses Bandwidth Throttling Practices
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:25 AM »
Welcome to Australia fellows, throttling is standard practice here - unless you're lucky enough to choose the right ISP ;)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:58 AM »
yeah, throttling is allowed here too in view of "general interest". :o

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:52 PM »
Welcome to Australia fellows, throttling is standard practice here - unless you're lucky enough to choose the right ISP ;)
Here it is simply because each successive government appears incapable of doing anything whatsoever about the abhorrent state of the countries' networking infrastructure, and of course the ISPs are all too happy to help out by traffic shaping and limiting monthly downloads.

Ehtyar.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:05 PM »
The not only came clean with the FCC - they sent a notice to me that the Acceptable Use Policy was changing as of Oct 1 (250GB/Month limit).   I'm not too concerned with the limit - as long as they're up front about it.  I'll be interested to see how their advertising changes.  I'll bet it will say "Unlimited* Internet" with nothing but the asterisk to indicate that it's really not unlimited.