ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to avoid going broke on Red Bull or Jolt Cola

(1/2) > >>

40hz:
Tired of your usual poison at break time? Sick of reading yet another technical how-to article that rambles on and on about something you're never going to install on your system? Or maybe just looking for some obscure lifestyle-type thing to trot out at your next dinner party to shut up That Guy who went to That Fancy College?

Well be happy - because help is at hand with a how-to that addresses all of the above.

Instead of 'designer' coffee blends, or ubergeek carbo drinks, why not try some Russian Tea?

Read on as Mssr. Dániel Nagy reveals all:

Russian Tea HOWTO

Dániel Nagy <[email protected]>

August 24, 2002 Caffeine is essential for keeping the brain active during nightly hacking sessions. There are, however, many ways to satisfy a hacker's need for caffeine. Drinking Canned Capitalism (Coke) contradicts the very principles of the open source movement, for it is a closed source product, manufactured by a huge, evil corporation. This sweet brown fizzy water is unhealthy and does not leave any space for creativity; you just get what you pay for. It is like M$ Windoze. Coffee is somewhat better (much better, in fact), though it can cause irreversible neural damage especially in young hackers still in larval stage (e.g. K-8), if consumed in large quantities. Moreover, it is strongly addictive and does not taste very good for those not yet addicted. A good tea, however, induces catharctic sensations even in those, who drink it for the very first time, warming one's mind, body, and soul. Many cultures have developed excellent ways of producing delicious tea. The English, the Chinese, the Japanese and many more have mastered the art of this divine beverage. In this HOWTO, however, I would like to focus on my native, Russian way of preparing, serving and consuming tea. The issues of scalability (preparing tea for yourself versus the LUG gathering), portability (preparing tea using different utensils), and quality control are also addressed in this HOWTO. Cultural references are given for the curious. Enjoy!
--- End quote ---

http://home.fazekas.hu/~nagydani/rth/Russian-tea-HOWTO-v3.html

Ehtyar:
Very good read. I look forward to trying it, thank you  :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar.

tomos:
very informative!

at time's I wondered though ...
Adding milk to the tea is actually an English custom. Nevertheless, it's fine as long as you don't mind sweating like a pony
--- End quote ---
- as a tea with milk drinker I dont find it any sweatier than without :) followed by
Smokers tend to like it for its detoxicating effect; tea with milk cancels the weariness caused by tobacco.
--- End quote ---

Things I've discovered relatively recently about tea:
if you brew it for less than 4 minutes - it has a very strong pickup effect
if you brew it for more than 4 minutes - if it's very srtong it'll get your heart going all right but it definitely doesnt have the same get up and go effect

Loved the Troubleshooting Section ;D

40hz:
very informative!

at time's I wondered though ...
Adding milk to the tea is actually an English custom. Nevertheless, it's fine as long as you don't mind sweating like a pony
--- End quote ---
- as a tea with milk drinker I dont find it any sweatier than without :) followed by
Smokers tend to like it for its detoxicating effect; tea with milk cancels the weariness caused by tobacco.
--- End quote ---

Things I've discovered relatively recently about tea:
if you brew it for less than 4 minutes - it has a very strong pickup effect
if you brew it for more than 4 minutes - if it's very srtong it'll get your heart going all right but it definitely doesnt have the same get up and go effect

Loved the Troubleshooting Section ;D

-tomos (September 22, 2008, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Re: Pickup Effect

My understanding is that the maximum amount of caffeine is extracted from tea  between the 3.25 and 3.75 minute mark of the brewing cycle. You get a smaller amount of caffeine brewing it longer than that, but its effectiveness in the bloodstream is offset by the increased amount of tannin and other plant esters that are also being extracted. Tannin, by itself, will affect the heart. It causes a jittery sensation at higher (i.e. mildly toxic) concentrations, but it does not provide anything in the way of an energy boost.

Re: Milk and sweating

I'm with you tomos.

I never heard about that one before either - and I had genuine "off the boat," samovar-toting, "drink your tea from a glass", Russian grandparents.

I like my tea both ways (depending on the time of day and season of the year) and I haven't noticed a difference in ANY bodily function because of it. ;D

BTW: Assuming it IS true - how much does a pony sweat anyway?

tomos:
In Turkish Doner (Kebab) take-aways here they often have a samover with black tea / hot water
In one place I got a very interesting combination of black tea made with sage leaves as well - I liked it

BTW: Assuming it IS true - how much does a pony sweat anyway?
-40hz (September 22, 2008, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
orhow sick is a dog
how stupid is a donkey
or a camel for that matter :)
etc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version