ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New Windows boot manager available

(1/3) > >>

40hz:
This in via gHacks.net - link to article http://www.ghacks.net/2008/09/20/windows-boot-manager/

Windows Boot Manager
Posted by Martin in Windows, software  Tags: boot manager, boot-loader, bootdisk, bootmanager, master boot record, windows boot manager

20 Sep

Many users shy away from installing multiple operating systems on their computer because of problems that can arise in the boot sector. Some operating systems like to replace the existing boot information with their own which would mean that the user would have to find a way to replace or add those boot information again so that all operating systems would show up when booting the computer.

Windows boot manager Boot-US is a universal boot manager that can boot many operating systems properly including all versions of Microsoft Windows from Windows 95 to Windows Server 2008, MS-Dos, Linux, Free BSD, VMWare and several exotic operating systems like Oberon, Novel-DOS or QNX Realtime Plattform.

The boot manager itself can be installed in the MBR (Master Boot Record), the primary partition or on disk. The latter being an excellent way of testing the boot manager before installing it on the hard drive.
--- End quote ---

This is a native Windows installable utility that looks very promising for those times when you'd rather not install grub to your MBR. Especially interesting is the option to install the boot manager to a diskette for testing purposes prior to permanent installation on your hard drive.

That's something no other boot manager (TBMK anyway ;)) does.

Comes with decent doumentation. I've just finished testing it and (knock wood) it works exactly as advertised. Diskette and permanent installations have not caused any problems on my test machine so far.

I'll still need to see if various defrag and other disk tune-up utilities I have will break it.  8)

The Boot-US website can be found here: http://www.boot-us.com/index.htm

Paul Keith:
Keep us updated 40hz

cranioscopical:
Yes, thanks for the information, 40hz. I, too, would be interested in how things go from here.

Darwin:
Coincidentally, I'm playing around with multi-OS installations myself and have been struggling to get Grub working. Thanks for posting about this, I'm downloading it now  :Thmbsup:

kreatorr:
alternatively, have you guys tried grub4dos? It basically leverages your existing boot manager in 2k/XP or Vista to allow you to boot other non-windows OSes.  It's still grub, but you don't have to replace the MBR or partition boot record if you don't want to.

update: edit spelling for grub4dos

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version