ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ASUS mobo dead

<< < (4/6) > >>

f0dder:
Christ, that's lousy! >_<

Dunno what to do about 939 CPU and DDR memory. Aren't there any other 939 boards available for purchase? If I had a spare 939 board I would've offered sending it over, but the one I have is in a machine destined to replace my mum's P4-celeron (which is so slow that starting live messenger is an ordeal).

Carol Haynes:
It's not really a big problem but it is more a matter of principle. If companies offer 3 year guarantees they should be able to honour it and if not offer a new up to date motherboard and include any necessary upgraded hardware.

What I have said to overclockers is that  would accept either an AM2 motherboard with similar spec and a discount on new CPU and memory - or alternatively a low end built computer (they actualy have one that is an AM2 boards with an Athlon64 X2 CPU and 2Gb or DDR2 memory for only £20 more than the mobo I returned) that costs a simlar price to the mobo combo I purchased.

4wd:
It's not really a big problem but it is more a matter of principle. If companies offer 3 year guarantees they should be able to honour it and if not offer a new up to date motherboard and include any necessary upgraded hardware.-Carol Haynes (November 01, 2008, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not coming down on anyone's side here but don't all normal guarantees state: "repair or refund."

They decided it's not economically viable to repair it so they are offering to refund your money - something it usually takes a company a very, very long time to offer, (usually requiring multiple returns of a faulty product  and even then only reluctantly offering it).

Unfortunately, the down side is that if you have purchased items based on that one piece of hardware, you take the gamble that whatever they replace it with will be compatible or, as in your case, if they give a monetary refund that an alternative is still available.  Something that's almost impossible to guarantee with the current pace of innovation.

As an alternative, try looking for an AsRock motherboard if you want to keep the existing CPU/RAM, I think the only two still available are the 939N68PV-GLAN and the 939NF6G-VSTA.

I have two Asrock motherboards and both have been very reliable, (K7S41GX and a 939SLI32-eSATA2).

AsRock are also a subsidiary of ASUS and usually implement features on their motherboards before ASUS does.

EDIT: Just noticed you mentioned the 939N68PV-GLAN up a few posts.  All I can say is my experience with AsRock motherboards has been better than with ASUS, EPoX and earlier Gigabyte boards, (now using a Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H).

J-Mac:
I have a similar board in my box Carol: Asus A8N32-SLI-Deluxe. Lot of trouble with the system here from day one. Most of the mysterious crashes I've had turned out to be stemming from nvata.sys. After much searching and posting all over the web I found that it has always been problemsome, most likely due to poor drivers. And Asus and nVidia have abandoned the board and any drivers for it.

And I agree that dealing with Asus support has been a big headache here too.

Good luck!

Jim

Carol Haynes:
That's interesting - it is the same board that I have returned as faulty. Having said that I bought two of them and have been using them both for 2 years with no problems (except that on one of the boards one of the SATA ports has never worked) until one pretty much died on me.

I did buy one of the ASRock GLAN boards when I returned the ASUS board for replacement so in a way I don't really need a replacement but it is the principle of the thing. No motherboard stays in production for 3 years (you are lucky if they stay in production 6 months) so the guarantee system is totally meaningless. A refund on a motherboard is OK except that you don't a have a computer any more - imagine taking a car into a garage any they say sorry folks we can't supply a new distributor so we will refund the cost of the distributor .... The motherboard is fundamental to the kit you buy for a system so if they can't supply a replacement they should supply a more upto date model and compensate for the useless hardware by at least supplying a new CPU and memory of similar spec. Personally I would be happy with an equivalent spec/price AM2 motherboard as it is far cheaper and easier to soucre a new CPU and memory - and there is no reason why they could give an 'at cost' discount to compensate for the hassle. If I had been relieant on this system I would have been without it for well over a month now (and it still isn't resolved) - I can't imagine how I would have dealt with a customer if I was trying to fix their system!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version