ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ASUS mobo dead

<< < (2/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Only time I've seen an optical drive lock-up that tight is right before it died. I've got a Plextor DVD burner now, but before that I had a Lite-on and used CDR-Win exclusively. The Lite-on drive did what you're describing for a while right before it died. I have no issues with the Plextor/Imgburn combo now.

*Shrug* ...Just thinking out loud.

An IDE channel will still run at the speed of the slowest device.

4wd:
An IDE channel will still run at the speed of the slowest device.
-Stoic Joker (September 20, 2008, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

But since almost all late model writers are UDMA4 I don't see that as a problem.

And according to Wikipedia this is not correct for all modern host adapters, (not saying Wikipedia is correct but it does coincide with what I have previously found on other sites).

What you might run into though is the "one operation at a time" issue.

Carol Haynes:
Oh bum - failing IDE interface on my mobo as far as I can tell.

The mobo no longer POSTS (drive LED comes on and then waits for ever for the check to complete).

Luckily I have another identical mobo so I have swapped them and now everything seems to be working fine (fingers crossed).

The knackered mobo is still under guarantee so now I have to do battle with ASUS tech support - not a happy prospect!

Stoic Joker:
 :( Sorry, I hadn't intended to be a prophet of doom ... Glad you had a spare.

4wd:
The knackered mobo is still under guarantee so now I have to do battle with ASUS tech support - not a happy prospect!
-Carol Haynes (September 24, 2008, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why do you have to deal with ASUS?

Is UK trade practices that markedly different from Australia?

ie. In Australia a sale agreement occurs between the retailer and the customer, not the manufacturer and the customer, (unless the retailer is the manufacturer of course).  Therefore if the product fails within the warranty period, you return it to the retailer and it's up to them to repair, replace or refund.

Of course if they test the item as OK, you're up for technician time and postage.   :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version