topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Stepmania - Open Source Dance Dance Revolution game clone  (Read 5165 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Stepmania - Open Source Dance Dance Revolution game clone
« on: November 14, 2005, 03:20 AM »
http://www.stepmania...What_is_StepMania%3F
very cool.

StepMania is a rhythm game. Arrows pointing in different directions scroll up from the bottom of the screen and the player must hit the corresponding button in time to the music. The game can be played with your hands using the keyboard, but the real fun comes when using a "dance pad" with foot sensors. StepMania has game types called "Dance", "Pump", "Para", and "Ez2" that are similar to other music games.

[found from boing boing]

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Stepmania - Open Source Dance Dance Revolution game clone
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 06:42 AM »
oo ... looks like a good Christmas present!

Where's my wrting pad, and Santa's address ...

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Re: Stepmania - Open Source Dance Dance Revolution game clone
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 07:45 AM »
Have been playing this for a couple of years now and still love it.  StepMania is far better that the Official Dance Dance Revolution game for the PC, and can easily be configured for any system - plenty of eyecandy if your machine can handle the load.

The obvious problem is that it doesn't come with any songs! But a little searching will soon turn up many to choose from, both from the original arcade games and fan routines to just about any song you can imagine.

I have two soft dancemats (grabbed them in a sale at Dixons for £5 each) and use a twin Playstation to USB convertor to connect them to my PC (got that from eBay).  Be warned however that the soft mats do not last that long before the vinyl starts to split and the buttons loose some of their responsiveness. RedOctane do make far superious solid mats, but the price hike is too much for the occasional user.  Still you could always make your own...

Ampa.