topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Problem with Stumbleupon  (Read 4994 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Problem with Stumbleupon
« on: December 01, 2007, 05:59 AM »
"Too Many Accounts

There have been too many accounts created from your internet address. If you have never created a stumbleupon account before, you can request an account here. If you already have an account, you can recover your password here. .
If this still doesn't work for you, please Contact Us to let us know :)"

Lately, I have been getting the above message when I used the Stumbleupon button.

When I wrote to their support, I got the following rather unhelpful message which is contrary to what is happening since I use a security enabled network which I'm pretty sure no one else access. Besides me, I have 3 other family member who shares the network with their own computers but other than myself, no one uses Stumbleupon :

"I regret that this message indicates that someone
who is sharing your IP address (or Proxy) is using
our system in a manner that breaches our terms.
The system is geared up to detect such breaches
and imposes a limit on further activity.

Unfortunately, this also affects other members
using the same route of access.

The engineers are investigating other solutions,
but I regret that I can offer no immediate
solution.

Regards,

Barry Conway"

------------

Anyone else on this forum face this Stumbleupon problem too ?

Has anyone any suggestions to overcome it short of a re-install of my OS ?

Thanks

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Problem with Stumbleupon
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 06:39 AM »
This seems to be based on your IP, so reinstalling your OS wouldn't help, since your external IP would most likely remain the same..

Changing your IP might help though.

For most people with a dynamic IP, turning off your modem for about 5-10 minutes and turning it back on is all that is needed to cause an IP change.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 07:40 AM »
This seems to be based on your IP, so reinstalling your OS wouldn't help, since your external IP would most likely remain the same..

Changing your IP might help though.

For most people with a dynamic IP, turning off your modem for about 5-10 minutes and turning it back on is all that is needed to cause an IP change.

Thanks app103,

Funny that you should be mentioning that turning off the modem and restarting it may solbe the problem.

It did not quite solve the problem. In fact you are right in that my ISP gives us a dynamic ip that changes from time to time. I think every few hours or some other time frame.

So it's kind of weird that Stumbleupon should have such a restriction because I assume that many ISPs may do the same.

In any case, I was fiddling around with another solution which is to hide my ip by redirecting my traffic through an anonymous server.

Guess what ? It works and that is weird because I think there may be others doing the same thing as I so this may just solve the problem temporarily until it detects too many people doing the same thing. Oh well.

I'll just live with it until they fix the problem.

sherryD

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:17 AM »
Hello everyone,

New here, but i think this info will help you there's some good su troubleshooting at -
Problems with StumbleUpon

Saved me a few times,
C ya around,
Sherry.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:43 AM »
Sherry: I just checked the site you mentioned, and I could only find 2 solutions, one for "how to change the profile image" and another one for the toolbar not working... Am I missing something?