topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: video players  (Read 6140 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
video players
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:07 PM »
I was just reading the old post on the best video players.  https://www.donation...c=2143.0;viewResults and noticed it was several years old.  Any thing new on this front that makes it stand out above the others?

I have tried vlc, gom, mpc and Powerdvd.  I am looking to play vob files that i have copied to the hard drive but sometimes I can and sometimes I can't even though they are all vob or ifo files.

which program do i need or what am i doing wrong??

dave

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: video players
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 03:10 PM »
Hey look, I started that one! :D

Well, since then, I've ditched bsplayer (it has gone adware/crapware), and moved to media player classic.
I don't regret it, MPC really is superior, and I use it to play everything except music files. :D

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 02:29 AM »
I'll second that jgpaiva - if it doesn't play anywhere else, it'll play in MPC!  :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 03:31 AM »
i didn't see KMPlayer being mentioned in that thread but KMPlayer is quite an accomplished media player and my personal favourite. :up:

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 05:31 AM »
Dave, also take a look at SMPlayer, which is open source and cross-platform, and Kaffeine (Linux only).

video_smplayer001.jpg

SMPlayer uses the MPlayer engine, while Kaffeine uses the Xine engine. They both have subtitle support and many features you'll want, such as remembering video position and settings after closing the app in SMPlayer, and Kaffeine also reads DVD menus across several discs when on your HD.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 06:33 AM »
2zridling
You forgot to mention that SMPlayer (KMPlayer too) doesn't require codecs to be installed in the system. It has it's own set of it. You can just download binary codecs from: http://www.mplayerhq...u/design7/dload.html and it will work on any machine you like. Very good solution for keeping it on pendrive.

PS. I've never liked mplayer frontends and I prefere commandline version. Oh! And sometimes I use KMPlayer.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 06:39 AM »
Thanks for the link, fenix!  :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 06:47 AM »
I'll second that jgpaiva - if it doesn't play anywhere else, it'll play in MPC!  :Thmbsup:

Used to use MPC but I found something better: MPC-HC

However I find that the latest build, (1.1.604.0), seems to have problems when playing back or maybe I'm having it conflict with something.

MPC-HC also has integrated codecs in a single binary ~2.10MB when UPX'd.

PS. I'd love to know what deranged person thought the newlook SourceForge would be a good idea.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 01:00 PM »
4wd: I wouldn't recommend MPC-HC.. I repeatedly found videos that wouldn't play in it, or would only have audio or stuff like that.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 06:03 AM »
4wd: I wouldn't recommend MPC-HC.. I repeatedly found videos that wouldn't play in it, or would only have audio or stuff like that.

I've used it for almost a year however I always have ffdshow installed for encoding anyway, so I set MPC-HC to use it for decoding.

Plus I rarely view anything other than MPEG2 or 4 - if it's some other format it gets deleted, (eg. Flash based crap), or if I really must keep it, (unlikely), then it gets transcoded to MPEG4 so it can play on my standalone.

I don't know what it is with the latest version, 1.1.604.0, but it just wouldn't last more than 20-30 mins on the internal codecs on my system.   1.1.0.0 however, runs fine on it's internal codecs.