ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 -- ribbons for everyone!

<< < (12/16) > >>

Grorgy:
I really do not understand how being ignorant of what the firewall is up to makes it dangerous.  Seems to me that for even the most novice user then a firewall like the windows one is a little piece of security you can have which takes no work on your part.

f0dder:
I really do not understand how being ignorant of what the firewall is up to makes it dangerous.  Seems to me that for even the most novice user then a firewall like the windows one is a little piece of security you can have which takes no work on your part.-Grorgy (September 22, 2008, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Exactly. The Windows Firewall generally "just works". If a normal user is presented with all kinds of prompts to add firewall rules, bad things happen.

VideoInPicture:
I would like to see mouser's ScreenshotCaptor done with a ribbon interface. I think it would be a good fit.

I agree for simple programs, they shouldn't use the ribbon because it takes up too much screen space.

I also think that it's not a good idea to put the ribbon on Internet Explorer because it would crowd the screen. However, from seeing some people's browsers with their bookmarks and toolbars.....

Paul Keith:
I really do not understand how being ignorant of what the firewall is up to makes it dangerous.  Seems to me that for even the most novice user then a firewall like the windows one is a little piece of security you can have which takes no work on your part.
-Grorgy (September 22, 2008, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

How many times do I need to copy paste this?  :P

Windows Firewall turned out to be one of the two most significant reasons (the other being DCOM activation security)[4] that many corporations did not upgrade to Service Pack 2 in a timely fashion. Around the time of SP2's release, a number of Internet sites were reporting significant application compatibility issues, though the majority of those ended up being nothing more than ports that needed to be opened on the firewall so that components of distributed systems (typically backup and antivirus solutions) could communicate.
--- End quote ---

It's like not understanding why windows update is bad. Yes, the concept is simple enough but when you start having a company that adds WGA activation out of the blue, hardware/software incompatibility and other things that makes having it act like a russian roulette, then yes, it's a bad thing. In the case with the XP firewall, it was near useless. Something that made you think you were safe but of course you had to add lots of other security apps like a decent antivirus and a decent anti-spyware and by the time you have them all installed, it becomes what it is: something that you don't even need enabled because it wasn't protecting you enough in the first place and only either made it a headache for ignorant users or made these same ignorant users feel secure while they go install all the junk into their PC.

Grorgy:
Copying one paragraph from a badly researched wikipedia article is all very well, but at least one of the references the article uses says the the xp firewall significantly improved security, and sure some businesses may not have been ready for it, or the change was not communicated well enough, whatever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version