ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 -- ribbons for everyone!

<< < (9/16) > >>

f0dder:
Wordpad must be the most useless app in Windows. There, a completely useless remark, but I just felt like it. 8)-TucknDar (September 20, 2008, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Have you tried Windows Firewall for XP?  ;D-Paul Keith (September 20, 2008, 05:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
I hope that was joke?

Paul Keith:
Wordpad must be the most useless app in Windows. There, a completely useless remark, but I just felt like it. 8)-TucknDar (September 20, 2008, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Have you tried Windows Firewall for XP?  ;D-Paul Keith (September 20, 2008, 05:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
I hope that was joke?
-f0dder (September 21, 2008, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

What if I was serious?  8)

Grorgy:
In most of the programs I use with a ribbon you get the option to auto hide it, seems to give me more space than I had before.  It seems a bit pointless in something like perfect disk, but you don't really need a lot of room for it anyway so it causes me no problem at all.  I like the ribbon in office2007 because of the added functionality it has brought with it, the live previews and so on.  Most if not all the commands I ever used are there somewhere and any that are missing I don't seem to be missing.  A quick look in the help seems to suggest most of the keyboard shortcuts used prior to 2007 still work as well.

I somehow sense the feeling that 10 or 15 yrs ago some people would have been saying "These new menus! They won't catch on ya know, what's wrong with just knowing what to type in?"  Times move on, the ribbon will probably disappear at some point and Vista will be looked on as the greatest thing microsoft ever did.

From the number of new programs and sites offering so much I would imagine that for most people the computer will remain a tool, if it doesn't work out of the box, what use is it to them? They want to look at their facebook page, send an email, chat to their friends and sometimes do some research for school or general interest and they will in time go to something that just works, why wouldn't you?  People who like messing about with stuff, well they are another market and a much smaller one.

zridling:
Grorgy, the problems you describe came about because Microsoft itself kept dumping more and more bloat into MS Office and marketing them as "features." Office 2003 was very similar Office 97 on purpose -- once you mastered MS Office, you had the skill. People didn't gripe about new menus, but they did bitch about those insane personalized menus. Again, the reason personalized menus were introduced was because Microsoft kept loading Office with more stuff they claimed users wanted when in reality they were giving everyone and anyone what they wanted. The menus had become so complex that they were collapsing under the sheer weight of the program's features and functions. It didn't help that apps within the same suite didn't naturally share keyboard shortcuts for the same functions.

Thus, there was no reason for anyone to even bother with a competing app, and OpenOffice didn't become attractive until ODF came along with version 2.0. You certainly were not going to get more features by using WordPerfect, for example.

f0dder:
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---
I hope that was joke?
-f0dder (September 21, 2008, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
What if I was serious?  8)-Paul Keith (September 21, 2008, 08:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Then I'd have to ask 'why?'.

The Windows firewall protects against incoming attacks, which is what a software firewall should be doing. It's pretty light on resources, doesn't generally get in your way, doesn't cause stability problems, and works out of the box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version