ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 -- ribbons for everyone!

(1/16) > >>

zridling:
Thom Holwerda has a new post at OSNews.com on Microsoft's ribbons for Paint and WordPad.
Microsoft blogger Stephen Chapman... claims that certain default Windows applications such as Paint and Wordpad have received the ribbon overhaul. "Yes, both Paint and WordPad have finally received the royal treatment. Via permission given to me to remotely access build 6780 to play around a bit, Paint and WordPad both look great and have much-needed updates." Not only the interface has been overhauled, but the feature set of both applications have been improved and modernised as well.
--- End quote ---

Love it or hate it?

jgpaiva:
Well... I love it in Office, but using it on wordpad seems like a bit of overkill, there's only one "tab"! (or whatever its name it)

Gothi[c]:
I think this new type of interface is a waste of screen real-estate.
Classically these tool bars were on the side of the screen, which makes more sense imo, because a monitor is typically more wide than it is tall.

jgpaiva:
Very good piont, gothi[c]!
I wonder how no expert in usability at MS thought about that  :huh:

fenixproductions:
2Gothi[c]
I think they thought about it pretty well.

People from the most of the countries used to read from left to right. So it is better to them to have any kind of information displayed horizontally. Even if it might take little more vertical space it is always easier to follow after all.

Consider placing ribbon on the left side of the screen. How usable it will be? How many information you can put on it?

Just remember that whole idea is the waste of the space for advanced users but computers are used by amateurs these days. Newbies wants to have i.e. labels for toolbar icons because they can learn app quicker this way. Even if it will take 20% of the screen's height, it seems to be better and more comfortable than taking twice as much for width (what would be needed for the same amount of information).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version