topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FinePrint vs. priPrinter  (Read 71081 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FinePrint vs. priPrinter
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 08:06 AM »
Fedorov, which version are you using? The 1.5 beta starts with the same window size it had last time it was closed on my computer. Is that enough? Or do you request that even if the window was de-maximized last time it was open it should still open maximized next time?

I'm using the latest stable release (ie, not the beta) and this works for me as well - if I maximize the priPrinter window and close it, it opens maximized from then on... As for the preview pane itself, it would be nice to be able to have it shown "fit to view" or something like that as each time I run it the view defaults to 66%. Actually, looking at it, I think this is a bug because the indicator is to the left of the middle of the slider, which by my reckoning means "less than 50%". Just an observation... The mid=point is 100%; moving the slider all the way to the right is 500%...

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 10:25 AM »
Here's another quirk with priPrinter (1.5 beta): in the left column it displays thumbnails of all pages in each printjob. Now, if I print job1 and, without closing the preview window, print job2, then the two jobs are both displayed in that column. If I then click the "previous arrow" at the bottom of the column then priPrinter jumps to the previous printjob. If I then click the "next arrow" I go back to the current printjob. Only now they are separated so that I first see job2 and have to click again to see (only) job1. That's confusing. What's more confusing, the next/previous buttons loop around so pressing "next" while displaying the most recent printjob jumps to the oldest previous printjob.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 12:15 PM »
As much as I like priPrinter, I'm going to stick with Fineprint 6. I already own a license and it does everything I need it to... If I didn't already have a license for this kind of application, I'd be looking very seriously at priPrinter.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 12:38 PM »
If I didn't already have a license for this kind of application, I'd be looking very seriously at ...
Is it the credit crunch bringing on this newfound restraint ???   :-\ ;) ;)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 12:54 PM »
Heh, heh, no... more a growing sense of fiscal responsibility, coupled with the fact that I also already own a license for Clickbook 11 that I'm not using as well  :o

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 01:32 PM »
One more feature note: Both FinePrint and priPrinter allow removing graphics. But neither allows removing graphics from individual pages. I hoped priPrinter would be able to do that since it already allows custom cropping for individual pages. I hope they add it. Or even better: add a way for users to cover any choosen part of a page by drawing a white rectangular box on top of it.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 04:54 PM »
Heh, heh, no... more a growing sense of fiscal responsibility, coupled with the fact that I also already own a license for Clickbook 11 that I'm not using as well  :o

Whoever has kidnapped the real Darwin should return him now! no questions asked, no ransoms will be paid though!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 04:58 PM »
I'm being even more frugal - I am going to stick with FP 5 unless we can either get a large discount on priPrinter or a very cheap rival product upgrade (and I sent ClickBook back for a refund - it was the first one I tried).

Maybe I'll drop priPrinter an email ....

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 04:10 AM »
PriPrinter    :Thmbsup:

mblatt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2008, 09:59 AM »
Perhaps someone here can help. I looked at priPrinter and was initially thinking of a purchase. Then I tried to print a booklet on my Brother 4050 duplexing laser. The page imposition on the printout was wacko.

I looked for a solution in the interface, and the help, and the website. I couldn't find anything. (FinePrint has a wizard to work through this type of issue). I tried their support, said to be available to evaluators. They never answered.

Does anyone know how to set this up so booklet pages print in the correct order and orientation?

I also have a non-duplexing Epson inkjet. I don't know where to begin getting correct booklet output from this one.

faircot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008, 11:41 AM »
I've been a long-time user of FinePrint and I'm happy with it but following the glowing comments about priPrinter, I thought I'd give it a try.

Unfortunately, my experiences differ from the positive reports here. The beta version just wouldn't run at all, hanging the prog when invoking a print job (this on a recently reinstalled system running XP SP3 with 1mb RAM). Uninstalling the beta and running the production version was not much better. Sloooow performance - and I've found it impossible to paginate a booklet to print in the correct order on an HP Deskjet and Kyocera laser.

Printing web page graphics seems a major issue with this release. Either they don't appear at all on the print preview or they are replaced with a strange solid black banner type box. Switching back to FinePrint, these anomalies disappear. This might be an issue with Opera, however.

So, priPrinter uninstalled and solidly backto FinePrint.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 05:29 PM »
priPrinter 1.5.0.585 BETA 2 (22 October 2008)
http://www.priprinter.com/beta.htm

Beta change log:
Improvements in double sided printing. Related to printers with auto duplex mode and to ordinary printers.
"Insert picture" command is added.
Added ability to print number of source page.
German translation is available.
Many improvements related to watermarks, page numbers, and custom text.
Many other small fixes and optimizations.

It keeps getting better :Thmbsup:

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 03:47 PM »
What would you say today to priPrinter? Any new testimonials?  :)

Please note there is an discount at BDJ in an week:
Deal Price: $19.71
You Save: 51%
List Price: $39.43
Deal Available: 20 JAN ’10 WEDNESDAY
http://www.bitsdujou...software/priprinter/

20 US$ = 13,80167 Euro (13.01.2010)

News  
4 January 2010 priPrinter 3 BETA is available for preview
25 September 2009 2.5.1.852 is available.

# Registration key is valid for both  32 and  64 bit versions!
# One registered copy of the SOFTWARE (Personal License)
may either be used by a single person who uses the SOFTWARE personally on one or more computers,
or installed on a single workstation used non-simultaneously by multiple people, but not both.
-vendor
http://www.priprinter.com/order.htm

Do anyone know how is the upgrade policy? Lifetime or not?
EDIT: found it
What is your Upgrade policy?

All bug fixes and minor updates are always free.
Upgrade from one major release to next one is free as well.
It means that owners of priPrinter 2.X will be able to use priPrinter 3.X for free.
-vendor
http://www.priprinte...Q.htm#upgrade_policy

BTW: even cheaper:
There is also the now freeware iPrint  (internal link)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:55 PM by AbteriX »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 04:26 PM »
I think priPrinter should also be mentioned here. I find it nicer than FinePrint, mostly because cropping is very convenient with it. It is a bit expensive (like FinePrint), but the banner of the unregistered version is unobtrusive enough that I'm using it all the time for personal printing. On the other hand, I'm using an old version, and living in fear that new versions will make the banner larger...

mentioned in another thread lately ...
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Currently priprinter's upgrade policy is better than FinePrint.

As it stands priprinter lets you upgrade to version 3 from versions 1 and 2 at no charge. You only pay to upgrade to the Pro version which adds a couple of extra features (direct PDF generation and text redaction/high-lighting). Fineprint is pay up on every version number change and the updates aren't cheap.

They also have a nice user policy - as a single user you can install it on every machine that you use provided other users don't use it. Fineprint is one PC only (IIRC).

Both great program - I have both on my system but never paid to upgrade to the latest version of FinePrint and now find myself using priprinter all the time. For me priprinter has the edge on interface, good looks and isn't as buggy as the version of FinePrint I have installed - plus it is updated quite regularly.

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 06:16 AM »
Thanks for the info, AbteriX.  ;-)

With today's 50% discount and upgradeable to 3.x (and 4.x?) PriPrinter is a real bargain.

Pelikan Software KFT Developer Aron Torti (Pelikan Software KFT Developer) Says:

- License is for v2, v3 Standard and for next one.
- priPrinter does more than FinePrint . At least we think so.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 07:42 AM »
Thanks for the reminder wr975

this one always gets me
Ordering if you use a free e-mail address

E-mail addresses from free e-mail providers such as hotmail.com or yahoo.com are not accepted for online orders placed with credit and/or debit cards.
Though we are aware that both Hotmail and Yahoo offer fee-based accounts, we cannot distinguish between free and fee-based accounts. If you only have a free e-mail account, please select cash, check or wire transfer as your payment type; free e-mail addresses are accepted for those payment types. Alternatively, you can place your order via fax for manual processing. However, since online orders are processed automatically, they take less time than fax orders.
my emphasis

payment company is shareit.com - I guess they do it for security, but they must lose *so much* business because of it...
Tom

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 09:13 AM »
Not to mention Gmail. There must be something wrong with either Shareit or Gmail. 2010 and Gmail is no good? If I knew anything about payment security I would say they are trying to cover up own faults or weakness.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:22 AM by Bamse »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 02:37 PM »
With today's 50% discount and upgradeable to 3.x  PriPrinter is a real bargain.

- is it?? €65 for the option to edit the text before printing!!!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 03:33 PM »
I've looked through the developer's website (priPrinter) and cannot find any mention anywhere of a Pro version.

@Curt: when I visit Bits Du Jour I get offered a 51% discount, from $39.43 to $19.71:

priPrinter Offer.pngFinePrint vs. priPrinter

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2010, 03:35 PM »
payment type; free e-mail addresses are accepted for those payment types. Alternatively, you can place your order via fax for manual processing. However, since online orders are processed automatically, they take less time than fax orders.
my emphasis

payment company is shareit.com - I guess they do it for security, but they must lose *so much* business because of it...

This always gets me, too. Perhaps you are meant to remove "are" from the web address?

EDIT: fixed quote formatting

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2010, 03:59 PM »
I've looked through the developer's website (priPrinter) and cannot find any mention anywhere of a Pro version.

Version 3 is available in tow versions, including a Pro version.

Currently it is in beta and the version 3 download IS the Pro version but once it is released you will have to upgrade to keep the Pro features.

See http://www.priprinter.com/beta.htm

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Ouch!

Professional Edition

priPrinter 3 comes in two variations - a Professional Edition and a Standard Edition and are available for 64.95 Euro  and 24.95 Euro respectively.

The Professional Edition of priPrinter 3.0 includes all of the functionality of the Standard Edition with the following additional features:

* PDF output directly from priPrinter application.
    * Text redaction, highlighting, coloring and deletion.

Thanks for clarifyling that, Carol  :Thmbsup: I had visited the beta page before, but hadn't scrolled down far enough.

EDIT: PS Ouch again! To upgrade to the Pro version will cost (gasp!) 40 euros!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:55 PM by Darwin »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2010, 05:43 PM »
EDIT: PS Ouch again! To upgrade to the Pro version will cost (gasp!) 40 euros!

Edited:
- that is, to upgrade to version 3 Pro Final.
Version 3 Pro BETA seems to actualy be FREE if you have version 2 Standard:

priPrinter Upgrade policy

Upgrade from 1.X, 2.X to 3.0 Standard edition is free. Upgrade to Professional Edition will be available for 40 Euro.
Current Professional Edition does not require professional license, all existing customers are able to use it without restrictions.

- so I am off to download this "freebie" :-)

If you have priPrinter 2.X installed, just install priPrinter 3.0. Want to revert back to priPrinter 2.X, uninstall priPrinter 3.0 first.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:45 PM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 06:03 PM »
Hmm... interesting, Curt. I wonder if "current" means "beta" and that if you find you want the Pro version of 3 when it goes live that you'll also find that you have to pay that 40 Euro premium?? I have licenses for FP 6 and for Clickbook 12... I don't know why I even care about any of this...