topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FinePrint vs. priPrinter  (Read 71075 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FinePrint vs. priPrinter
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:15 PM »
patteo wrote a fantastic mini-review of FinePrint, but was wondering if anyone is using Pelikan Software's priPrinter and what their thoughts are?

priprintershot01_big.jpg
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:17 PM by zridling »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FinePrint vs. priPrinter
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:23 PM »
Looks impressive with some features not shared with either ClickBook or Fineprint (like re-arranging pages by dragging them around the preview with the mouse  :Thmbsup:) and the price is good as well (25.95 Euros = $40 CDN. vs. $49.95 for Fineprint). I'd be interested in hearing from any users as well.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:50 PM »
Being able to print pages into image files is something I use more and more these days.

mwfuss

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 12:30 PM »
I have used FinePrint as my default printer for the past six years and I have been very pleased with the program. Having said that, however, I heard of priPrinter on the FileForum site and decided to take a look at it. I have used priPrinter as my default printer for the past two weeks and although I have certainly not explored all of its features, I am very impressed with this program. I am so impressed, in fact, that I took the plunge and purchased a license. One thing that sold me on this decision was the fact that I was having trouble printing a MS Publisher document and a MS Word document. In both instances the document contained graphics that were showing up in priPrinter either upside down or reversed. I contacted the developer about this. He promptly replied to my e-mail and in a few short hours the problem was resolved. That sort of attention to a consumer concern is quite impressive.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 03:23 PM »
Thanks for reporting on your experiences, mwfuss  :Thmbsup: I'm definitely going to have to check priPrinter out...

Fedorov

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 03:59 PM »
I agree, can't beat these tools that have great support from their developers, one of the reasons why I use certain tools over others which never get updated.
I think FinePrint 6 has taken a major backward step with it's "new toolbar", the icons look like something from Windows 3.1!!! It was much faster having textual buttons along the bottom like v5 had.

PriPrinter may be getting more customers I feel... :)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 04:18 PM »
Looks like a really nice program. The interface seems less clunky and more responsive than FinePrint 5, and I can't see the point of upgrading to FP 6.

How to set up booklet printing, multiple pages to a single sheet and landscape orientation took a bit of finding but only because they are so obvious!!

I have been using FP 5 for a long time now and been happy with it but I am tempted to buy a license for priPrinter - anyone fancy chasing a discount?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 05:38 PM »
+1 on the discount idea...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 07:23 PM »
I'm playing with the trial now... WOW! I love the interface. I haven't figured out how to move pages around but have hardly scratched the surface. The real litmus test for me is printing powerpoints, I'll try that tonight when I get back from work. First great thing I've found: you can determine how many pages to print per page just like you select columns in word. Very flexible. Don't know if I'd actually USE that feature, but it is a night touch.

More later...

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 01:59 AM »
+2 on the discount idea!

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 02:03 AM »
Yeah a discount would be good, it looks good

Fedorov

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 05:06 AM »
Discount sounds great!

Did you all see the v1.5 beta link on their main page?
http://www.priprinter.com/beta.htm

Just select 3D mode and view your jobs in 3D. All functionality is available in 3D.

It can be difficult to imagine how your document will look like. priPrinter introduces 3D print preview, which make preview easier. When 3D is selected you may turn over the pages, and do same things as in 2D: select pages and text, adjust margins and gutters, crop pages and change layout.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:11 AM »
Whoa!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 12:16 PM »
Whoa is right! That's pretty cool (though I must confess to not really seeing myself needing/using the feature... I do recognise, though, that it would be handy if I printed booklets)  :Thmbsup:

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 05:53 PM »
I'm testing priPrinter right now. It is excellent so far! Nice find zridling :Thmbsup: Great that FinePrint finally gets a worthy competitor!

Advantages compared to Fineprint
- allows printing 3 pages to a sheet
(3 maximum cropped pages * doublesided = 6 pages per paper sheet = still readable in most cases and enormously paper-saving)
- allow customized cropping for each page

Disadvantages compared to Fineprint:
- lacks a range of quickly choosen and increasingly more aggressive autocrop modes (fineprints has "margins: none, small, medium, large, original"). A maximum crop mode is especially important to have.
- can't insert pagenumber on each page (not just on each sheet)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:56 PM by Nod5 »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 06:51 PM »
I'm testing priPrinter right now. It is excellent so far! Nice find zridling :Thmbsup: Great that FinePrint finally gets a worthy competitor!

Have you also looked at Clickbook from Bluesquirrel?

Padlock6

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 07:08 PM »

+3 on the discount.

I have FP6 at home and 5-something at work.  Not thrilled with version 6, but anything is better than file|print.  I wonder if it will be available for U3 so I can use it both places w/1 purchase.
Yeah, trees don't grow on money either.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 08:09 PM »

Have you also looked at Clickbook from Bluesquirrel?

I tried it ages ago and quite liked the program. My problem was that it doesn't play nicely with all printers. Mine has automatic duplex (which is really handy) but Clickbook couldn't support it and their tech support gave up. Works fine with FP and priPrinter.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:46 AM by Carol Haynes »

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 10:30 AM »
Is there no way to force preview window to display automatically immediately after printing to priPrinter?!
I have this checkbox ticked but it does not seem to make a difference:
a.png

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 11:55 AM »
Strange, nod5. Those settings work fine on my end on both the machines that I installed the trial on (one's XP Pro Sp-3 and the other Vista Home Premium Sp-1) - that is, the job is automatically previewed.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 12:13 PM »
I deinstalled 1.2.1.579 and instead installed the 1.5 beta and now I get the preview window. :Thmbsup:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 01:14 PM »
I have FP6 at home and 5-something at work.  Not thrilled with version 6, but anything is better than file|print.  I wonder if it will be available for U3 so I can use it both places w/1 purchase.

You already can - from the FinePrint FAQ (http://www.fineprint...om/support/faqs.html):

Can I use the software on my laptop and my desktop without purchasing again?

Yes, you can. The license allows you to use the software on multiple computers as long as they are not simultaneously used.

Fedorov

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 06:04 PM »
I always like to MAXMIZE the PriPrinter preview when it appears as I find the default size way too small. An option to always open maximized would be very useful.
Yes I realise there is an F11 full-screen view but I find this less useful, as you first need to press F11 when you get the tiny preview window and using it full-screen without the toolbars isn't too useful in this case I don't feel.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 03:38 AM »
Fedorov, which version are you using? The 1.5 beta starts with the same window size it had last time it was closed on my computer. Is that enough? Or do you request that even if the window was de-maximized last time it was open it should still open maximized next time?

Fedorov

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 07:46 AM »
I think to preview pages properly you should make full use of your screen so to me it makes sense to always have the preview start maxmized. Just my opinion.