ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FinePrint vs. priPrinter

<< < (11/14) > >>

Curt:
- sure, they are "clever": keep version 3 Pro Beta and get used to it so you simply will "need" to upgrade to the final Pro because your program has "auto' search for updates" as default and you don't want to keep version 2 (Standard) just to keep Pro Beta when you can have version 3, do you? ;-)

wr975:
- is it?? €65 for the option to edit the text before printing!!!
--- End quote ---

Including Austria VAT I paid about € 15 for the standard version.

- sure, they are "clever": keep version 3 Pro Beta and get used to it so you simply will "need" to upgrade to the final Pro because your program has "auto' search for updates" as default
--- End quote ---

You're acting like the "standard" version is a crippled light version of the software and everyone has to upgrade to the pro version.

Here are the differences:

The Professional Edition of priPrinter 3.0 includes all of the functionality of the Standard Edition with the following additional features:

* PDF output directly from priPrinter application.
    * Text redaction, highlighting, coloring and deletion.

--- End quote ---

Also, nobody is forcing you to install the "3.0 preview" version. Just go for the stable 2.5x and you'll never know what you're going to miss.

IMHO, 3.0b is open for all users, because there are no "pro licenses" out yet. Once it's relased you can decide to install 3.0 standard or 3.0 Professional (+upgrade).

Carol Haynes:
I think when Pro licenses become available there will be one installer which is the Pro version. The Pro features will be in trial mode with a standard license.

40 Euros does seem a bit steep for fairly limited extra functionality but I'd guess this is a fundraising exercise more than anything else. They haven't charged for upgrades for existing users and so I'd guess they are trying to encourage existing users to upgrade to the Pro version.

Having said that the PDF generation works well (actually quicker than Adobe Acrobat as a printer driver) but is hardly worth the price when you can get PDF writers for free and use them within priPrinter.

The other pro feature(s) amount to a single highlighter as far as I can tell. Redaction is just highlighting with black (so it is the same as highlighting with any other colour). Also in the standard version you can use cut to remove anything you want before printing so deleting text is not really necessary however the new select and delete text is much quicker and neater. Having said that it would be really nice if the deleted text didn't simply leave a blank space but rather edited the text to move up subsequent text to make it seamless.

Curt:
Demo, no "PRO"; they were merely playing with the meaning of the words...
Edited: I was wrong, see next post.

Carol Haynes:
Yes it says that but try the Pro features and you will find they all work as they should. At the moment there are no Pro licenses to buy and the Beta has ALL features (standard and Pro) active. Presumably when the full release comes the Standard edition will have the Pro features dropped back into demo only mode - but it isn't the case at the moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version