topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FinePrint vs. priPrinter  (Read 71067 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FinePrint vs. priPrinter
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 06:32 PM »
- sure, they are "clever": keep version 3 Pro Beta and get used to it so you simply will "need" to upgrade to the final Pro because your program has "auto' search for updates" as default and you don't want to keep version 2 (Standard) just to keep Pro Beta when you can have version 3, do you? ;-)

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 03:52 AM »
- is it?? €65 for the option to edit the text before printing!!!

Including Austria VAT I paid about € 15 for the standard version.

- sure, they are "clever": keep version 3 Pro Beta and get used to it so you simply will "need" to upgrade to the final Pro because your program has "auto' search for updates" as default

You're acting like the "standard" version is a crippled light version of the software and everyone has to upgrade to the pro version.

Here are the differences:

The Professional Edition of priPrinter 3.0 includes all of the functionality of the Standard Edition with the following additional features:

* PDF output directly from priPrinter application.
    * Text redaction, highlighting, coloring and deletion.

Also, nobody is forcing you to install the "3.0 preview" version. Just go for the stable 2.5x and you'll never know what you're going to miss.

IMHO, 3.0b is open for all users, because there are no "pro licenses" out yet. Once it's relased you can decide to install 3.0 standard or 3.0 Professional (+upgrade).

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 04:13 AM »
I think when Pro licenses become available there will be one installer which is the Pro version. The Pro features will be in trial mode with a standard license.

40 Euros does seem a bit steep for fairly limited extra functionality but I'd guess this is a fundraising exercise more than anything else. They haven't charged for upgrades for existing users and so I'd guess they are trying to encourage existing users to upgrade to the Pro version.

Having said that the PDF generation works well (actually quicker than Adobe Acrobat as a printer driver) but is hardly worth the price when you can get PDF writers for free and use them within priPrinter.

The other pro feature(s) amount to a single highlighter as far as I can tell. Redaction is just highlighting with black (so it is the same as highlighting with any other colour). Also in the standard version you can use cut to remove anything you want before printing so deleting text is not really necessary however the new select and delete text is much quicker and neater. Having said that it would be really nice if the deleted text didn't simply leave a blank space but rather edited the text to move up subsequent text to make it seamless.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2010, 03:26 AM »
Demo, no "PRO"; they were merely playing with the meaning of the words...
Edited: I was wrong, see next post.

2010-01-29_102528-587.gif

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:47 AM by Curt »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2010, 03:37 AM »
Yes it says that but try the Pro features and you will find they all work as they should. At the moment there are no Pro licenses to buy and the Beta has ALL features (standard and Pro) active. Presumably when the full release comes the Standard edition will have the Pro features dropped back into demo only mode - but it isn't the case at the moment.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Here is another varation of this type of utility:
CleverPrint
Regards, Brahman

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Here is another varation of this type of utility:
CleverPrint

Hmm... very clever!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2010, 12:41 PM »
€40   :(

including VAT
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:46 PM by Curt »

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2010, 06:45 AM »
priPrinter is on BDJ again next week (Thursday Sept 23 -- $17.47 for standard version).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2011, 05:28 PM »
-fine offer, the Bits du Jour's, but I really want the pro version to be discounted. I have not used PriPrinter Standard a single time since I installed Readability (for Firefox) and Nitro PDF Pro (with print-to-pdf). But still, even the Readability-created pages can look a little better if handled by PriPrinter. But then it all becomes a long and winding road; first clicking Readability, then re-arranging in PriPrinter, and finally sending it to Nitro, to save it as PDF (Nitro can't arrange the pages as nice as Readability or PriPrinter).

So I was checking up on PriPrinter, because it was just updated to version 3.something. The price reminded me why I still merely have a license for the Standard version, but I also remembered that no-one here has told if they have a PRO key, and if they think it is worth the extra money. Please?
  :tellme:

pri2011-04-22_235429.gif
pripro2011-04-22_235507.gif
priup2011-04-22_235705.gif

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:03 PM by Curt »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2011, 05:56 PM »
The Pro version is useful if you use the added features. Even though I have Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro installed I still find priPrinter more convenient for PDF generation and the quality seems to be just as good to me.

I also use the highlighting and redaction features.

PriPrinter isn't prefect but I prefer it to the other pseudo-printer apps that I have tried (including FinePrint). As you have already said it is also updated pretty frequently and once you have bought a version upgrades to that version are included.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2011, 06:04 PM »
-thanks, Carol.

Now I just need some rebate. But to my memory he has only discounted the Standard version, never the Pro version, so I guess I need to first make some more money...

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I bought the standard version when it was last on BDJ and later upgraded to the pro version, after testing it for PDF printing.  I don't have a recent version of Acrobat Pro and had been using V.6 until I moved to Win 7, which it will not run on. I found the PDF output from priPrinter to be superior to any of the other pdf print drivers I have used, other than Acrobat itself. I have also found the developer to be very responsive to questions and suggestions.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2011, 01:38 PM »
14 April 2011
priPrinter 4.0 BETA is available!

-so, I guess we soon will see a discounted offer for vers. 3, or maybe even for vers. 4?

Just MAYBE he will accept to also make DC-members an offer for the PRO version??
 :tellme:

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40 AM »
If priPrinter lives up to form version 4 will be a free upgrade from version 3 - in which case don't hold your breath for discounts!

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2011, 12:25 PM »
If priPrinter lives up to form version 4 will be a free upgrade from version 3 - in which case don't hold your breath for discounts!
-Carol Haynes (April 25, 2011, 09:40 AM)
The priPrinter site states that "Upgrade is still free !"

I would guess that the pro version uses non-royalty-free code, which would account for the substantial additional cost and lack of discounts.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 03:02 PM »
Hi,

Priprinter has a forum, too.
http://forum.priprinter.com/index.php

Not superactive, but a nice plus.
It is true that one advantage of Fineprint is that it does less, and is simply so efficient on the basics.
It is "comfy".

Neither company has done much on discounts and such.  Whichever one does Bits first will probably
get a good number of new customers.  Bits du Jour has only done Greenprint, afaik, in 2008, with little chatter.

Clickbook looks like it wants to be a Print-Everything type program, which we would usually do with a dedicated program, or programs.

Steven