topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Change the icon for a program  (Read 3580 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Change the icon for a program
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:14 PM »
I'm using STDU Viewer to deal with PDF files because I can't stand the instability and malware-prone tendency of Adobe's reader software.  And for the most part, I'm really really happy with it (I've installed Sumatra for browser integration, since SDTU doesn't do that - I'd use Sumatra for non-browser viewing, except it doesn't do tabs).

One thing I really don't like about STDU is the icon - it's a blue color scheme magnifying glass over a book.  It doesn't scream 'document viewer' to me, and I actually have a hard time zeroing in on it on the taskbar.

I can easily change the icon on a shortcut for STDU, but that doesn't work when the program is launched by the .pdf document association, so I think I need to actually edit the STDU Viewer's .exe file resources.  Anyone have a suggestion for a dead-simple (and hopefully free) utility or technique for doing this?

I'm running Win7 x64 if that matters.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Change the icon for a program
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:36 PM »
If what you are interested in is the icon for .pdf files, you should be able to change the icon for that association (in XP it's the Folder Options dialog, File Associations tab).

If you are talking about the icon on the taskbar, that's something else.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 12:02 AM »
To clarify - I'm looking to change the icon that shows up in the taskbar.

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:21 AM »
Every serious icon editor (including mine) can do this, but since you are asking for a free tool, get for example Resource Hacker from http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/ It is easy and simple. Backup your original file in case something goes wrong - the modification will probably break digital signature on the exe. That should not be a problem, but just in case...

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Thanks for the tips. 

I was able to also use your free BatchIconExtractor utility to easily borrow an appropriate icon from Adobe Reader (so I guess Reader is still good for something).  I also noticed that your RealWorld Icon Editor program was recently on BDJ. I'm sorry I missed it - I'll have to keep an eye out in case it shows again.

Again - thanks for the pointers.  This makes replacing Reader with STDU Viewer and Sumatra work much better for me.