Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 02, 2014, 03:34:21 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Installers Hall of Shame  (Read 4375 times)
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:21:15 PM »

Courtesy of Bill Pytlovany's blog, here's a link to a listing of program installers that insist on installing "extras" by default, such as toolbars and the like.

The problem has gotten so bad over the past two years that I ALWAYS select Custom install if it's offered to me; not doing so virtually guarantees that I'll be uinstalling something, usually Yahoo toolbar. I'm taking my cue from Bill and bookmarking the list  Thmbsup

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »

Related topic  Wink
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 01:44:03 AM »

It's incredible - it seems to have become totally "acceptable" mad

Tom
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 03:10:52 AM »

I was thinking of some kind of autohotkey-autoinstaller that would have data files for versions of products and a general settings area where you could check/uncheck 'set desktop shortcut' 'install toolbars' etc that most programs ask, I don't know why the installation routine is not built in in windows more to give these options centrally. Sadly I don't have the time but the idea might help someone Wink

Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 05:32:16 AM »

On a side note, we also have the Uninstallers' Hall of Shame....

These are the left-overs ("empty shortcuts") on my desktop  from the last couple of weeks:

clickable thumb:

mad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.028s | Server load: 0.23 ]