ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Batch image resizing, dimensions fixed, quality dependant on eventual file size?

<< < (3/3)

4wd:
Funny - my "target file size" isn't greyed out, but when I set it at 1000KB the results ranged from 440KB to 970KB  - maximum size perhaps?  I do have Quicktime as it happens (btw, I couldn't find the info about Quicktime and there seems to be no helpfile).-suleika (May 04, 2008, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I also tried setting it at 1MB and had sizes ranging from 400-800kB.  So I ran one pic through at size constraint of 1024kB which resulted in a file ~630kB and then I ran the same pic through saving at 100% quality which resulted in a 1.40MB file, (both times set at a resize of 'short side=1000').

I then compared the two using BeyondCompare's picture comparison and found there was actually minimal differences between them.

I tried the above on different photo subjects and every time it resulted in only minimal differences between the two output files.

You don't get told about Quicktime unless you don't have it installed, (which I normally don't), then it opens an info window.  Doesn't say it needs it for the 'final size' output option though.

The help file is a PDF download from the author's WWW site PictureScaler User Guide.

I had another better google session and found some other resources - I've just tried JpegResizer - created a batch between 820KB and 1040 - that's pretty good.  I shall probably go for it. 

--- End quote ---

Link five in the Google search in my original post  ;)

I'm sure there's probably a freeware alternative to these programs - just requires a little digging.

EDIT: Sourceforge is your second friend  :)

kf-jpeg-fitsize - Fit jpeg to a maximum filesize. Reduce jpeg quality to fit that file size.

Requires two more free programs to work, (it's actually a batch file which uses them), but the price is right - the images need to be resized first before running the batch file over them.

Another EDIT: DOH!  I just realised I already have a program on my computer that does this only it doesn't copy the EXIF info, (to expand: Analyzer copies EXIF data, however the Batch plugin loses it - I've just sent an email asking if he can implement it).
Image Analyzer with the Batch Plugin.  Image Analyzer is free, the unrestricted Batch Plugin is Donationware - donate what you like and you'll get the version that doesn't add a small watermark to your pics, (I donated ages ago to have the ability to DeSkew a lot of pics - still use it occasionally because it can handle maths expressions in the batch files).

eg. To scale and save as you were after, the batch file is, (could probably do a lot of tweaking for max image quality, etc):

SkipNextIf(Width>Height)
  goto(@ShortWidth)

SkipNextIf(Height<1001)
  Resize(round(1000*(Width/Height)),1000,Pixel)
goto(@SaveIt)

@ShortWidth
SkipNextIf(Width<1001)
  Resize(1000,round(1000*(Height/Width)),Pixel)

@SaveIt
SetJPEGQuality(100)
SetJPEGSizeLimit(1024000)

suleika:
Thanks for your post edits - there are programs to copy exif info across, I know, so it's not an absolute deal-breaker.  ImageAnalyzer itself looks interesting and the script works - definitely worth a look. 

PhilB66:
ImageTasks was mentioned before and so was VSO Image Resizer (discussed here).

Mobaphoto is another tool that supports batch processing (freeware and portable)

Curt:
The app "Multiple Image Resizer" (http://www.multipleimageresizer.net/) will easily do the scaling ...-CWuestefeld (May 02, 2008, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried this one today, "MIR", Multiple Image Resizer, because I read a description of the features, and got interested. However, I must say I cannot understand why this particular Image Resizer will not tell the dimensions of the image to be resized. How can I calculate the percentage resizing of a picture, if I don't know the dimensions? Well, in fact I can imagine many situations where the lack of this obvious information, would keep me from even thinking about resizing  in the first place!

Besides, I never managed to get the program to work properly  anyway.
Tested, and removed.

CWuestefeld:
I cannot understand why this particular Image Resizer will not tell the dimensions of the image to be resized. How can I calculate the percentage resizing of a picture, if I don't know the dimensions?
-Curt (September 27, 2008, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure why you'd care to calculate the percentage. MIR is perfectly happy to be told to resize to some absolute dimensions, or even to fit the target into some bounding dimensions.

I think there's a good reason that MIR doesn't show the dimensions of your image. That's because the program is designed to operate on whole batches of images. In that context, there isn't any particular image whose dimensions it can point to; it's got a heap of images, each (potentially) having its own dimensions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version