ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Please Help Me "Transition" to Internet Exploder...err Explorer

<< < (6/7) > >>

Paul Keith:
It is a matter of policy. I am not allowed to run executable that aren't installed on the computer by the IT department.-tinjaw (September 19, 2008, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now I understand, nothing more than "Do what I say not what I do" kind of thing.

Have you thought of putting up a website with nothing but things that actually demonstrates the insecurities of a standard IE installation and then innocently suggesting to other work people that they visit it.

Possibly after a few dozen toolbars have been installed they may get the point  ;)

But then again....we are talking about a government department.....they never get the point......
-4wd (September 19, 2008, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

THe "point" is that when companies allow employees to install programs on company-owned computers, the IT department spends more time cleaning/disinfecting machines than any other activity. Understand that most employees are not as knowledgeable as DC members, and do not see any harm in installing HotBar, CoolWebSearch, Skype, etc.

Jim
-J-Mac (September 19, 2008, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

True but the key here is not a change of policy or allowance of installation, just a migration to a slightly better AND more secure alternative that also looks similar to the previous application.

Darwin:
True but the key here is not a change of policy or allowance of installation, just a migration to a slightly better AND more secure alternative that also looks similar to the previous application.
-Paul Keith (September 20, 2008, 01:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

My experience with IT suggests that this kind of an argument will fall on deaf ears. The decision has been made by somebody or somebodies high up in IT/Administration - they've deemed IE 7 vanilla to be adequate/secure enough, I doubt very much that they'll be either inclined to listen or pleased to have their decision questioned by a mere mortal.

Paul Keith:
Yeah, that's the downside of corporate environment but it can't hurt to try with an IE shell like Maxthon since it's practically the same program.

I was just clarifying to J-Mac that this wasn't a case of opening up programs to casual users.

Darwin:
Heh, heh, should have mentioned that my experience was in trying to get Maxthon 1.x approved at a college I worked at... You're right, though, no reason not to try!

Paul Keith:
Meh...colleges are worse than companies.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version