topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Please Help Me "Transition" to Internet Exploder...err Explorer  (Read 18333 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Please Help Me "Transition" to Internet Exploder...err Explorer
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 01:48 AM »
It is a matter of policy. I am not allowed to run executable that aren't installed on the computer by the IT department.

Now I understand, nothing more than "Do what I say not what I do" kind of thing.

Have you thought of putting up a website with nothing but things that actually demonstrates the insecurities of a standard IE installation and then innocently suggesting to other work people that they visit it.

Possibly after a few dozen toolbars have been installed they may get the point  ;)

But then again....we are talking about a government department.....they never get the point......

THe "point" is that when companies allow employees to install programs on company-owned computers, the IT department spends more time cleaning/disinfecting machines than any other activity. Understand that most employees are not as knowledgeable as DC members, and do not see any harm in installing HotBar, CoolWebSearch, Skype, etc.

Jim

True but the key here is not a change of policy or allowance of installation, just a migration to a slightly better AND more secure alternative that also looks similar to the previous application.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 11:40 AM »
True but the key here is not a change of policy or allowance of installation, just a migration to a slightly better AND more secure alternative that also looks similar to the previous application.

My experience with IT suggests that this kind of an argument will fall on deaf ears. The decision has been made by somebody or somebodies high up in IT/Administration - they've deemed IE 7 vanilla to be adequate/secure enough, I doubt very much that they'll be either inclined to listen or pleased to have their decision questioned by a mere mortal.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 11:53 AM »
Yeah, that's the downside of corporate environment but it can't hurt to try with an IE shell like Maxthon since it's practically the same program.

I was just clarifying to J-Mac that this wasn't a case of opening up programs to casual users.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 12:53 PM »
Heh, heh, should have mentioned that my experience was in trying to get Maxthon 1.x approved at a college I worked at... You're right, though, no reason not to try!

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Meh...colleges are worse than companies.  ;D

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008, 05:40 PM »
You'd be surprised what people install when they have the opportunity!

Jim

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 07:38 PM »
THe "point" is that when companies allow employees to install programs on company-owned computers, the IT department spends more time cleaning/disinfecting machines than any other activity.

At which point they should admit that their preferred method of reactive maintenance is fundamentally flawed and they should start looking at something a bit more proactive, eg. DeepFreeze.

Of course, the only problem with that approach is that management might find they no longer need such a large IT department  :D

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 08:37 PM »
THe "point" is that when companies allow employees to install programs on company-owned computers, the IT department spends more time cleaning/disinfecting machines than any other activity.

At which point they should admit that their preferred method of reactive maintenance is fundamentally flawed and they should start looking at something a bit more proactive, eg. DeepFreeze.

Of course, the only problem with that approach is that management might find they no longer need such a large IT department  :D

Damn it, I don't have some corporate friends to share this joke with.  ;D