ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Text Editor

UltraEdit 11 - Best text editor?

<< < (5/11) > >>

Scott:
If an application has such poor usability that important features like code folding and column mode aren't obvious, then it deserves a poor review.  The poor review is deserved not because the features aren't there, but because they're not convenient.

Usability matters.

I've had discussions with confused people who would argue with me over this.  It usually goes something like this:

"CrapMaticX 0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.2.1.0.5 doesn't have the ability to open files via FTP."

"shuttup yooze.  stop spreddin fud becuz yooze dont know how tew read the wiki.  its right there under wiki/stuff/1-001/hiddendocs/mystery.html.  all yooze need to do is add "Xftp-change REQ:1=enable|disconnect|4|parse" to the [CRAPPO] section of the config file, download the Qftp GML component and compile it, then take the Qftp GML DLL file and save it in a directory named \qml\extras\bin\final\test\unsure\plugin\ under the main app directory, and restart CrapMaticX 0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.2.1.0.5.  if yooze are not using CrapMaticX 0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.2.1.0.5 in console mode, yooze also need to download and compile the metasnap 0.0.0.1.0-alpha.tar file, then extract the source from that, edit the source so it runs on win32, then pseudo-compile it using Py2exe and put that file in \supp\test\random\src\ under the \plugins\whyme\ directory.  stop spreddin fud l00zer."

"OK, thanks.  Have a nice day.  How could the author possibly give this away for free?"

mouser:
usability definitely matters - if you see how i ammended the vim review you'll see my basic attitude.

i've finished updating the review and adding boxer and zeus.  i actually ended up recommending zeus at the end of the review as a very good cheap programming editor.  Again, this is really pushing the scope of the review, as if i was reviewing programming editors i would have included slickedit and multiedit, and others.  and both boxer and zeus have very poor wordwrapping, which basically disqualifies them as general purpose editors, in my way of thinking.  however, zeus+boxer are cheap enough that they probably deserve a mention.

as with other modifications, see the upper left of the review in the sidebar, for quick links to changes.

sinbad - you're alerting us to programs we missed is much appreciated - this is exactly what i had hoped would happen with these review forums - provide a way for members to help make sure the reviews are thorough.  i just would like to figure out a way to get the reviews up in draft form so we can have some comments before they go public.  we will try this from now on.

SindbaD:
To mouser:
Thx for quick modifications.
Some notes:
- Column mode in zeus: just click on a text and move the mouse :) that's all.
It's useful if You look into the help and find function list. There are built-in zeus functions described. There are several functions which are not under menus, but You can assign them to shortcuts.

- About VIM again:) I see, you changed your description. E.G: Code folding. Is it not convenient? You select text block and type "zv" or select  folding from menu. Is it not convenient enough? And don't forget: In VIM You can make menu or/and toolbar buttons for everything. After that inconvenient typing is not necessary.

I am not VIM fun, and I don't want to tell You that VIM is very convenient, but if You know using of features of that You can find it more efficient than any else.
For example, I would like to use only one editor, but I have to use VIM (as second editor) for complicated and large texts because I didn't find other editors that can manage folding and highlighting as professional as that.

Of course, 2-3 weeks needed to learn usage :)

Regards and congratulations for your work.

mouser:
perhaps i should add some comments about vim for hardcore users; i know there are people that swear by it.  for me, when i moved from using a text-only terminal to using a graphical OS, i decided that menus and buttons were a good thing, and i'm not a fan of these programs that can only be controlled by hitting 5-key alt+ctrl+escape combinations.

hehe column mode in zeus-- now its all column mode and i cant select anything BUT column mode, exactly as you said.

did i do something to put it into column mode, or is it ALWAYS in column mode and cant do normal selection, which would be much more insane!!! and can you figure out a way to get it to wrap on window boundry automatically without inserting CRs into source code?  if so i'd love to know.

mouser:
answering my own question, you can select the DEFAULT selection mode (column or line), and then use ctrl key to toggle.  column mode doesnt seem to be able to insert, but still its not a bad solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version