ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you keep two computers synchronized? i.e. work + home. If so, how?

<< < (7/14) > >>

Paul Keith:
http://DropBox. Only 2GB at the moment, but in the very near future 50GB. It just doesn't get easier than this, they solved the problem. You don't have to push a button.
-justice (September 17, 2008, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've used DropBoks (not Box, thats a different service) ever since it first showed up on the web - small files for school and personal stuff, but it it freaking awesome how they keep it simple, yet powerful behind the scenes. Familiar interface, compressed.

EDIT: Also, unlike DropBox, DropBoks doesn't require a download - you upload and download your files in a small explorer-like box.
-wreckedcarzz (September 19, 2008, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've always been impressed with DropBoks. Wasn't too sure how long it would last though so I never tested it long term.

Has the service been stable for you wrecked? I'm afraid the service might disappear one day because of it's similarity to DropBox's name.

Deozaan:
I've used DropBoks (not Box, thats a different service) ever since it first showed up on the web - small files for school and personal stuff, but it it freaking awesome how they keep it simple, yet powerful behind the scenes. Familiar interface, compressed.

EDIT: Also, unlike DropBox, DropBoks doesn't require a download - you upload and download your files in a small explorer-like box.
--- End quote ---

I just tried out DropBoks. It's almost completely useless because it doesn't have an easy way to upload an entire directory and all subdirectories. Instead it forces you to manually create each directory, navigate into the directory, then browse your computer into the appropriate directory, then upload all files from the directory. But any subdirectories are ignored and you have to start the process over again.

Deozaan:
http://www.xdrive.com/

5 gb of free storage with sync capabilities
desktop app is adobe air now
much better then the first program they had
or there is a web interface that works very good-cmpm (September 18, 2008, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just signed up for Xdrive, and I don't understand my confirmation e-mail:

Congratulations! We received your registration for [[email protected]]. AOL(R) is proud to have you as a member of our online community.

Confirm your email address now! If you requested to reserve this email address as part of the AOL(R) Screen Name Service, please select the "Yes, I made this request" link below. Otherwise, if this was not requested by you, please select the "No, I did not make this request" link below to reject this request.

Yes, I made this request and I want to reserve this email address as part of the AOL Screen Name Service

No, I did not make this request and I do not want my e-mail address registered with the AOL Screen Name Service

To learn more about AOL Screen Name Service, please visit the Screen Name Service Web site at http://my.screenname.aol.com.

Thank you,

Screen Name Service Team
--- End quote ---

So... Yeah. I DO want to confirm my e-mail address for Xdrive, but I don't want need an AOL Screen Name. Suggestions?

Paul Keith:

--- End quote ---

I just tried out DropBoks. It's almost completely useless because it doesn't have an easy way to upload an entire directory and all subdirectories. Instead it forces you to manually create each directory, navigate into the directory, then browse your computer into the appropriate directory, then upload all files from the directory. But any subdirectories are ignored and you have to start the process over again.
-Deozaan (September 22, 2008, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

True but with the size available to you in DropBoks, it's really more a hassle if you had to restructure your directory just to reduce the space it takes.

Applications like these appeal more towards people who want a free online usb stick than a synching or backup system.

yksyks:
Anyone tried OpenDrive? 1 GB at the moment, but looks promising. Not mentioned at DC so far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version