ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you keep two computers synchronized? i.e. work + home. If so, how?

<< < (4/14) > >>

IainB:
Thanks for the interesting thread. I tend to use Microsft's FolderShare to link to whatever files I need across my PCs, because it meets my 4 main criteria for use:

1. Good functionality (i.e., it does what it should).
2. Good price (i.e., FREEware or, at worst, reasonably-priced shareware).
3. Self-contained and independent (i.e., no forced dependencies on other, unnecessary or proprietary products).
4. Stability (i.e., it works, and has no annoying bugs - ß products are OK though).

I had not heard of DropBox or Live Mesh (mentioned in the comments above, so I went to the home pages for these two to run through the intros.

Result: I am going to try out DropBox.

WARNING! --- Start of rant ---
I went to Live Mesh first and clicked on "Take a tour", only to have a pop-up tell me that I had to "Install Microsoft Silverlight for a better experience on this site". Yeah right. Criterion #4 just fell over and I hadn't even got anywhere near the software I was interested in. Strike one. What beats me about this is why anyone in their right mind would force a dependency on an unnecessary product in order to communicate their sales benefits pitch. Experience shows demonstrably that, to be successful, marketing communications must operate at the lowest common denominator. They will never know how many people they just turned away by that single simple act alone.
On top of that the "Silverlight" pop-up wanted to access some new site - "agappdom.net" - that would not own up to who/what it was, so I became suspicious of it.
Live Mesh can get lost for all I care.
---End of rant ---

kartal:
2 free alternatives for file folder syncing
http://www.collaber.com/
http://www.collanos.com/

these are also great for teamwork. They are similar to Groove.

I also love powerfolder for  syncing computers
http://www.powerfolder.com

Grorgy:
I keep my 2 computers more or less in sync (data not programs, I try to keep the laptop as lean as possible).  The amounts of data involved are not huge, 30gb of music looked after separately, and about 5gb of other stuff.  Files i am working on regularly, essays and notes, are kept in dropbox and now evernote, the other stuff that doesnt change day to day (new documents downloaded from libraries or databases whatever) gets the SFFS treatment (as does new wallpapers and Icons and photos)  Works for me, but as I say I don't have a lot of data, though, it does grow week by week.

urlwolf:
@grorgy:
yes, large collections that change little with time (i.e., music, papers) are a pain because scanning them for changes takes a lot of time and HD activity.

How are macs faring in this business? I have heard good things about time machine... nothing about synchrization.

40hz:
I have heard good things about time machine...
-urlwolf (September 18, 2008, 06:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Time Machine is very impressive.

I also suspect it's just Subversion VCS tricked out with one of those stunningly beautiful front-ends Mr. Jobs & Co. do so well. Apple actually made version control look pretty. That's gotta be some sort of breakthrough right there.

Who says you can't put lipstick on a pig? ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version