topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MakeUseOf.com: 15+ Podcasts Every Geek Should Listen To  (Read 16648 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
MakeUseOf.com: 15+ Podcasts Every Geek Should Listen To
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:27 PM »
Nice roundup of technology podcasts:

Podcasts, Netcasts, call them what you want. Every geek out there should be listening to these things. Every single one of you. If ever you see a geek with earphones plugged into his/her ears, I guarantee you they are listening to the latest podcasts. It’s just something most geeks can’t live without. We thrive on the latest podcasts.

Now, I know there are still some people out there who haven’t listened to many podcasts, and I’ve been feeling a bit sorry for those people because they are missing out on so much. So, I’ve decided to make a list of my favorite podcasts so that new listeners can have some suggestions while sifting through the thousands of new podcasts each day.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MakeUseOf.com: 15+ Podcasts Every Geek Should Listen To
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:43 PM »
And at the top of the list is DonationCoder Podcast ReLoaded v2.0 beta!

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 12:54 PM »
Ridiculous. Not geeky at all.
All the revision 3 shows, and most of the other ones as well, while tech related, are not even close to geeky.

Ever since yuppies with money to play with electronics took over the word 'geeky' the threshold for what is considered 'geeky' has become lower and lower. When you get into the really geeky stuff, many of these shows (some of which depend on advertising) won't cover it because not enough people would care about it. If you're lucky they'll quickly and shallowly cover something mildly interesting, but nothing new to an actual geek.

However, it's still a nice list shows and podcasts. I just get frustrated that there isn't anything really geeky and fascinating that brings up really obscure stuff that an average (real) geek wouldn't actually know about yet.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 01:33 PM »
Ever since yuppies with money to play with electronics took over the word 'geeky' the threshold for what is considered 'geeky' has become lower and lower.

Sad but true - and very well said. :Thmbsup:

doublebeaniesmall.gif

I'm holding out for the adoption of cph (pronounced "siff") as in Certified Propeller-Head for the real deal techno-ninjas out there!

Beware of any advice coming from a website that has a link labeled "cool tools." 733t Rulz! ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:38 PM by 40hz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 01:41 PM »
7 more added to new makeuseof.com list:
http://www.makeuseof...-podcasts-for-geeks/

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 09:55 PM »
Ridiculous. Not geeky at all.
All the revision 3 shows, and most of the other ones as well, while tech related, are not even close to geeky.

Ever since yuppies with money to play with electronics took over the word 'geeky' the threshold for what is considered 'geeky' has become lower and lower. When you get into the really geeky stuff, many of these shows (some of which depend on advertising) won't cover it because not enough people would care about it. If you're lucky they'll quickly and shallowly cover something mildly interesting, but nothing new to an actual geek.

However, it's still a nice list shows and podcasts. I just get frustrated that there isn't anything really geeky and fascinating that brings up really obscure stuff that an average (real) geek wouldn't actually know about yet.

Reading this scares me and is partially the reason why I think the internet still doesn't produce the best guides for introducing newbies to any advanced stuff.

I mean Geekbrief and WebbAlert are more news sites so that I can understand and most of the other links fall into tech blog editorial territory but when programs such as Systm and Tekzilla that deal with tons of electronics and hacks that deal with voltages...man, it's terrifying how stupid I am.

I also find it ironic that anything Chris Pirillo isn't mentioned but maybe that could be seen as stating the obvious.