Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 30, 2014, 06:18:03 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Flash Toy of the Week: How Well Can you Differentiate Colors?  (Read 21429 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:32:14 PM »

I recently made a few trips back and forth to the paint store trying to find an acceptable match for the colors on my ceiling so I could do some touchup painting.

I started wondering: what are the chances that I could find a color close enough to the current one that *I* personally wouldn't see any difference, but others who have better color perception might see clearly the differences and therefore perceive the ceiling and wall as being painted with two different colors of paints.

So I was happy to find this little online flash test which challenges you to line up color hues in order to see how sensitive you are to small differences. I suspect the quality of your monitor could effect the test someone, but very cool idea and quite useful.

I got a 32 without obsessing over perfection:

what score do you get?

from http://www.downloadsquad.com
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »

Seems kind of interesting. I played around with the top row for a bit but since I don't have time to really sort them out (I'm procrastinating writing an essay just typing this) I quit once the top row was in a close order (not obsessing over perfection).

fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 04:10:59 PM »

Nice test.
I've just made my "bubble sorting" and that's what I have:

PS. My eyes are in pain now Wink

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
Niezbo
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 04:13:27 PM »

I really don't know how I made it... (I didn't cheating)

wow, i see I'm not the only one... smiley

* score1.JPG (75.09 KB, 1280x922 - viewed 361 times.)

* score2.JPG (79.69 KB, 1279x921 - viewed 318 times.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:18:35 PM by Niezbo » Logged
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:14:20 PM »

huh
i'm envious.
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »

2mouser
You shouldn't be. Just watch out in the forest smiley

--
--
Grorgy
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:29:11 PM »

oh me oh my, I must be getting old, my eyes are wearing out  Grin  Score = 30
scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 04:35:41 PM »

Score = 8 Sad
Should I quit designing GUIs?

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 04:44:22 PM »

8 is very good.. the lower the score the better.
Jesper Hertel
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »

Don't feel bad mouser, my score was 33, and I thought I did a good job – although I knew it wasn't perfect, as it was quite hard for me to see much difference between adjacent colors.  smiley

I am sure that the problem lies in the quality of our screens, it can't be our eyes. cheesy

By the way, did you notice how even (flat) your distribution was, mouser? I am not quite sure what that means, but it is quite impressive. smiley
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:18:23 PM by Jesper Hertel » Logged
Grorgy
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »

It may have something to do with the different ways cats see colour  Wink
Jesper Hertel
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »

Grin Hahahaha, you're absolutely right, Grorgy!

Give us a test where we have to differ between shades of really dark colours, and we'll show the others! cheesy Although... I'm not quite sure my cheap laptop screen can live up to my perfect night vision...  tongue
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 05:45:03 PM »

I'm not taking the test.

For the past seven years I've been living in a house where a number of areas are painted white.

My wife recently informed me that NONE of these areas is white, that every one is a different pastel shade.

After a little thought I decided that if I believe the areas are white that's good enough for me.
I don't want to live in a house with pastel shades.

It all comes down to attitude, and that's all white with me.

Chris
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »

I'm not taking the test.

For the past seven years I've been living in a house where a number of areas are painted white.

My wife recently informed me that NONE of these areas is white, that every one is a different pastel shade.

After a little thought I decided that if I believe the areas are white that's good enough for me.

Totally worth it! Grin

Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »

Scored 4, not too bad. The demographics bit didn't make much sense, not sure if it's even working?

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 07:56:21 PM »

2cranioscopical
Maybe those walls are not the matter of your eyes but "how much do you care?".

Personally: I scored 0 points but I would never see hairstyle change on woman's head until complete baldness Wink

--
--
alivingspirit
Supporting Member

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 08:28:28 PM »

Ow! My eyes hurt and I also only scored a 4.
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 08:55:01 PM »

My daughter was telling me about this one the other day. She scored a 0.

I scored a 23, and considering that I am not running in true color here, I'd say that was pretty good.

I'll try it again when I have a better graphics card and don't have to make a choice of resolution over color. (currently can't have true color unless I am willing to run with 800x600 on a 17" monitor...eww!)

BTW...this is not flash.  Wink

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »

I started wondering: what are the chances that I could find a color close enough to the current one that *I* personally wouldn't see any difference, but others who have better color perception might see clearly the differences and therefore perceive the ceiling and wall as being painted with two different colors of paints.

Either buy enough paint to repaint the whole ceiling and have extra to last as touch-up paint for as long as you plan on living there. (and hope it doesn't harden in the can when stored)

Or send all your real life friends to take this test and invite all the ones that score a 0 to your place to help you match color chips, before heading to the store.  cheesy

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »

the lower the score the better.

Is this true?

CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 02:20:41 AM »

I'm not taking the test.

Didn't u know women perceive colour better than men?  Wink

If you need help - JUST ASK!
CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 02:27:28 AM »

Can't see any 'test' on that page??? Just a black square with couple links at bottom...

If you need help - JUST ASK!
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 07:02:48 AM »

Interesting test, wonder if an alternative could be made that spots color blindness.

mahesh2k
Supporting Member

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 07:20:51 AM »

I'm Blind  Angry

Oh No,I'm DareDevil Cool

My Score is Damn High tongue

* colortest.JPG (25.1 KB, 889x321 - viewed 327 times.)
Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 08:31:37 AM »

Didn't u know women perceive colour better than men?  Wink

This is supposed to be true which is why I'd love to see some demographics to see how pronounced the difference really is.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.053s | Server load: 0.03 ]