ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sad Weekend....

<< < (2/5) > >>

zridling:
Theft is unpreventable in many ways -- if they want it bad enough, they're coming in. But taking a man's laptop, that's just damn wrong.

I learned this harsh lesson via a bad storm back in 1992. I had spent the summer preparing for a new position teaching statistics at Indiana University when the day before classes started a massive electrical storm blew out the transformer at my cheap apartment and lightning struck the building, burning out all the wall sockets, and subsequently frying my bright new ($4200) PC! I spent the entire year working from behind and without a computer of my own, it was nearly impossible to do my job. I even had replacement insurance (along with a special rider) on that very machine, but when I went to my agent, he said: "Sure, get three estimates to average the cost of replacing your PC, you replace the machine, bring us the receipts, and we'll reimburse you in six months." I was broke, couldn't afford to do that, and PC-less for a year.

Mind you, I've never spend another GD nickel on insurance since that day!

lanux128:
i am shocked to hear this. sorry for your loss, Codebyte. let us know if you need help with anything.

mouser:
This event has inspired me to adjust my backup plans to anticipate a break in and theft.
This means i really to finally have to start using an online encrypted backup solution and/or a practice of hiding a backup drive in the house somewhere.

allen:
Thanks guys! Im doing just that mouser; walking around checking my apartment and what not constantly.
-Codebyte (September 15, 2008, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Man, I hear you! A few weeks back, someone stole a GPS unit from my wife's car, her (old and broken, take that!) cell phone and my bottle of Bourbon (from the garage, not the car).  Materially, we lost almost nothing . . . but that kind of intrusion hits you at the core--great losses or no.

Codebyte:
I have learned alot from this incident and it's very sad that I came home to it. I am grateful in a way that I did come home to it and wasnt sleeping when this happened because my life could have been at risk. However, it's one of those moments that I wish I had taser or something next to my bed and was home to stop the situation. The laptop was my high-school graduation gift (2 years old) so it was outdated anyways... but money is hard to come by in college... luckily, I have a wonderful family: my grandmother donated 500, my grandfather donated 500, and my parents paid the rest for me... i love them alot and will continue to thank them daily for their support. Had it not been for them, I wouldnt have been able to make this post... In fact, id be in my bed and staring at the ceiling wondering, "Why me?"

@ Mouser: I managed to find all but the LineByter files, thankfully. It sucks that LineByter wasnt backed up before this but the thief didnt take my external HDD that held several backups of all my important information... Gives me an excuse to develop a LineByter 2.0 with new features =P

@ zridling: It sounds like alot of anger and frustration would have developed from that story... Im curious to know what happened after this... did you replace it? how did it get better? or did it get better at all?

@ lanux128: Thank you for your support! :)

Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, i'll write an article on DC about this incident and provide a guide about things to prevent loss of data in this situation... Maybe there already is one... I'll check into it =P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version