ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sad Weekend....

(1/5) > >>

Codebyte:
Hey DC Friends,

Long time, no talk. Been really busy with college and everything... But I'm trying to stop in here and there just to catch up on the forums, etc...

This past weekend was probably one of my worst weekends of all time... I went out on Saturday night to go see that movie "Righteous Kill," which was amazing, and came back at 5:30am to my apartment only to find that it had been broken in to. I found out that my beautiful laptop had been stolen along with my flat screen TV... I was a mess and partially still am... That laptop had EVERYTHING on it.... including all of my source files for LineByter (www.codebyter.com/linebyter .) My parents ended up coming up just to help me out with everything for the weekend... I actually went out and bought this bad boy:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668123.php

It's very nice and everything I could ask for in a notebook, hardware wise. Very good pricing too. Anyway, My University has the MAC address of my NIC and I was wondering if I could call the local ISP (Brighthouse Network) and see if they could monitor this MAC address to gain access to an IP address which could be tracked by the police? Idk if this is any good solution but I've already included the Serial numbers of the stolen software in the police statement, etc.

It has been quite a busy weekend and I have a couple of exams to study for still, lol. Reality hit me in the face... once again!

mouser:
Wow that has got to be extremely stressful. Damn these people.  This makes me so angry.

I think you did good to buy yourself a new laptop right away -- that's the way to keep your brain from obsessing about the one you lost.

Hang in there and just concentrate on your studies and try not to think about it too much.  Aside from having everything stolen you might also just be all stressed out over the fact that someone broke into your place and feel like you have to walk around in a hyper vigilant mode.  Damn these people i hope they get what's coming to them.  And as for you you just have to allow yourself to grieve for a bit and then try to just push on with your life and not let this get to you.

ABSOLUTELY get the mac and contact the ISP and see what they can do.. you could get lucky and it's worth a try.

allen:
Sorry to hear that . . . you have my sympathies.  I've lost a laptop in such a manner, myself.  I took it pretty hard, despite it being a dinosaur in need of replacing and having not lost much of real value. I am reminded: I seriously need to start backing things up more vigorously. (I still haven't learned, despite having a big "MY computer might be bricked" experience a month or two back...)

Codebyte:
Thanks guys! Im doing just that mouser; walking around checking my apartment and what not constantly. So much lost work... Ugh, but ya... I'll keep at studies for sure, thanks for the support. :)

mouser:
The truth is that there are good sides to this episode.  You lost a lot of important stuff.. but you didn't lose so much to make you have a nervous breakdown, and now you've learned how absolutely critically important it is to back stuff up regularly.

This lesson may save you one day, because you'll not let yourself get into a situation where your working on some giant project and you lose it all.  So consider this a wake up call -- a message from the universe telling you: Back up your data regularly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version