topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: stackoverflow.com - programmers Q&A site by jeff atwood + joel spolsky is public  (Read 11696 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Stackoverflow.com, the site created by programming gurus joel spolsky and jeff atwood as gone from a closed beta to an open public beta and is worth checking out.

You can read the original dc discussion thread about stackoverflow.com here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=13077.0

Basically the website is a community question and answer system much like yahoo answers but focused on programming-related questions.  Users can vote for questions and answers (like on digg) so that popular ones rise to the top.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FINALLY! YAY!

Ehtyar.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
cool idea. should be interesting to see what questions evolve to the top as it attracts more users.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As far as I understood it's not jsut a question and answer site (although it sort of functions like one), the goal is to create a repository/ reference of best solutions to programming problems, and its a mix between Wikipedia / experts exchange and yahoo answers.

For example answers and questions can be edited by other people if this improves the reference value.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does anyone have problems logging in with FireFox 3 via myOpenID? Irony of the day: IE7 works.

(And once a guy writes a UI design book, never let him design an actual UI people will be using. Those modal-looking text entry "dialog boxes" that dim the rest of the browser window are soooo inconvenient and un-Web-like, I think. But maybe I'm just irritated bacause I can't log in :) )

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
(And once a guy writes a UI design book, never let him design an actual UI people will be using. Those modal-looking text entry "dialog boxes" that dim the rest of the browser window are soooo inconvenient and un-Web-like, I think. But maybe I'm just irritated bacause I can't log in :) )

It's the latest Web 2.0 trend after the overuse of reflected logos :D

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmm, interesting. I'm a regular reader of CodingHorror, and enjoy Jeff Atwood.

I'd assumed that StackOverflow would be just another blog, and since I rather dislike reading Spolsky (I think he spends too much time enjoying his own cleverness), I had decided to avoid it. But if the site isn't spotlighting his writing, then maybe it's worth a look.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
and since I rather dislike reading Spolsky (I think he spends too much time enjoying his own cleverness)
Add me to you club :)
- carpe noctem

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
(And once a guy writes a UI design book, never let him design an actual UI people will be using. Those modal-looking text entry "dialog boxes" that dim the rest of the browser window are soooo inconvenient and un-Web-like, I think.
He didn't design the UI they outsourced it (can't find the entry on the codinghorror blog about it)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
He didn't design the UI they outsourced it (can't find the entry on the codinghorror blog about it)

I was at fault anyway, because I was referring to text entry pop-up boxes at the support/bug reporting site at stackoverflow.uservoice.com, which has an almost identical look to the stackoverflow site but is in fact a different host.

But... he outsourced the UI? For what seems to be a personal pet project? This is so wrong!  :o