Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 25, 2014, 07:36:33 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: stackoverflow.com - programmers Q&A site by jeff atwood + joel spolsky is public  (Read 5884 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 15, 2008, 07:49:37 AM »

Stackoverflow.com, the site created by programming gurus joel spolsky and jeff atwood as gone from a closed beta to an open public beta and is worth checking out.

You can read the original dc discussion thread about stackoverflow.com here: http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=13077.0

Basically the website is a community question and answer system much like yahoo answers but focused on programming-related questions.  Users can vote for questions and answers (like on digg) so that popular ones rise to the top.

Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:10:06 AM »

FINALLY! YAY!

Ehtyar.
Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:00:45 AM »

cool idea. should be interesting to see what questions evolve to the top as it attracts more users.
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:14:17 AM »

As far as I understood it's not jsut a question and answer site (although it sort of functions like one), the goal is to create a repository/ reference of best solutions to programming problems, and its a mix between Wikipedia / experts exchange and yahoo answers.

For example answers and questions can be edited by other people if this improves the reference value.

tranglos
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 02:13:25 PM »

Does anyone have problems logging in with FireFox 3 via myOpenID? Irony of the day: IE7 works.

(And once a guy writes a UI design book, never let him design an actual UI people will be using. Those modal-looking text entry "dialog boxes" that dim the rest of the browser window are soooo inconvenient and un-Web-like, I think. But maybe I'm just irritated bacause I can't log in smiley )

Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:15:24 PM »

(And once a guy writes a UI design book, never let him design an actual UI people will be using. Those modal-looking text entry "dialog boxes" that dim the rest of the browser window are soooo inconvenient and un-Web-like, I think. But maybe I'm just irritated bacause I can't log in :) )

It's the latest Web 2.0 trend after the overuse of reflected logos :D
CWuestefeld
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »

Hmm, interesting. I'm a regular reader of CodingHorror, and enjoy Jeff Atwood.

I'd assumed that StackOverflow would be just another blog, and since I rather dislike reading Spolsky (I think he spends too much time enjoying his own cleverness), I had decided to avoid it. But if the site isn't spotlighting his writing, then maybe it's worth a look.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »

and since I rather dislike reading Spolsky (I think he spends too much time enjoying his own cleverness)
Add me to you club smiley

- carpe noctem
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 06:27:38 PM »

(And once a guy writes a UI design book, never let him design an actual UI people will be using. Those modal-looking text entry "dialog boxes" that dim the rest of the browser window are soooo inconvenient and un-Web-like, I think.
He didn't design the UI they outsourced it (can't find the entry on the codinghorror blog about it)

tranglos
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 03:56:08 AM »

He didn't design the UI they outsourced it (can't find the entry on the codinghorror blog about it)

I was at fault anyway, because I was referring to text entry pop-up boxes at the support/bug reporting site at stackoverflow.uservoice.com, which has an almost identical look to the stackoverflow site but is in fact a different host.

But... he outsourced the UI? For what seems to be a personal pet project? This is so wrong!  ohmy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.037s | Server load: 0.12 ]