ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mathematics symbols OCR

<< < (3/7) > >>

Eóin:
Having gone through a math course and now working on a postgraduate in that field my experience has been that you cannot beat handwritten in terms of the speed and clarity at which you can record it as it's being say written up on a blackboard.

If typing up notes in your own time Word is good, LaTeX is fantastic but almost certainly overkill. Something like SciWriter would be my first recommendation though. But you can't use these programs at speed, drawing the equations is more like putting together a jigsaw than freehand drawing.

My guess is an OCR app which only OCRs what it understands and stores the rest as inline images might be the overall fastest cheap solution to generate digital copies, but also the lowest in quality.

Armando:
Thanks Eóin and Darwin.

Eóin : from the screenshots, sciWriter looks like MathType and other similar software. Might give it a try but I'm afraid your "putting together a jigsaw" comparison is probably pretty accurate.

So for now, it seems that the OCR app solution "which only OCRs what it understands" is probably, effectively, the best option.

As for annotating with a tablet -- should pretty close to hand writing --, well... Darwin might be able to tell us at the end of the day. ;)

Armando:
So... Darwin : any luck with annotations using your fabulous wacom tablet?   :)

Darwin:
So... Darwin : any luck with annotations using your fabulous wacom tablet?   :)
-Armando (September 17, 2008, 12:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry - haven't gotten onto my other notebook yet  :-[. I did try this with Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 and my XP machine (sans any PDF software) but either my memory is shot or Adobe has removed Annotation support from the Reader in version 9...

I'll try to get to this today

Darwin:
OK - here goes: Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 DOES support comments, but only when document rights are enabled. Otherwise, the toolbar is hidden. I tried this with the tablet and the pen and no dice. I may not have tried hard enough, mind you...

Interesting sidenote - AAR 9 supports comments on my Vista machine but not on my XP Pro machine?! I suspect it's because I have Nuance's PDF Converter Professional 5 installed under Vista but not under XP...

Speaking of PDF Converter Professional 5, I had no trouble inserting comments BUT I coudn't insert them with the Pen, it was strictly a keyboard only operation...

I'd be interested in any other perspectives on this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version