ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mathematics symbols OCR

(1/7) > >>

Armando:
I wonder if anyone knows of software capable of recognizing mathematical symbols... Properly.
The free OCR soft that came with my scanner a while ago certainly can't...  Mostly garbage :)

This would probably be one costly app (judging by the price of top notch OCR software).

But I'm wondering if it exists, and if it performs well.  :tellme:

Armando:
Thinking of it, could be that the best of both world would be to 1- scan math stuff with acrobat, 2- and then let acrobat do the ocr without destroying the original layout. Of course that would take a significant amount of disk space. And it would also mean... buy Acrobat.  :-[

Dormouse:
I assume you know about InftyReader; If you  don't, you really don't want to know about the price.

Eóin:
I'm just toying here so don't take it too serious but to what extent do you want the OCR to 'understand' the math? I mean do you want (A) a program which can phrase the symbols and together with their positions it could reproduce the equation in pdf or postscript say? Or (B) are you interested in a program which could phrase the scanned image into TeX or MathML?

I only ask as the first sounds feasible though I don't know of any such applications myself. The second however would be really cool, but I can barely begin to imagine how difficult it might be.

Ah Dormouse posted while I was typing, that's a very impressive program :)

Darwin:
about InftyReader; If you  don't, you really don't want to know about the price.
-Dormouse (September 14, 2008, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

?@#$%!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version